Re-Sealing leak around bead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a while back I posted that one of the tires on my Jeep had a slow leak in it. Usually it'd leak about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I don't drive it all that much, so usually, when I would drive it, I would just put in some air.

Last Wednesday, I put air in it and drove it around a bit (because it was soooo cold out ...). Went to drive it two days later and the tire was completely flat.

Swapped on the spare, then took some water and found that I had a pretty good leak around the bead.

Is there a way to fix without going to a tire shop?

You can pop that bead yourself with the cheezy jack that came with your jeep. Deflate it then put the tire on pavement under the frame and use the jack to push down on the sidewall you want popped off.

You won't have to pry the tire off to inspect the bead seating surface on the rim, and you can get in there with sandpaper etc.

You can spend a few bucks at an auto parts store on "Xtra seal bead sealer" which is this rubbery goo or you can try sanding down the rim for a more proper repair. Mix up some soap-water... hand dish detergent or shampoo is good. Sponge down the bead, wiggle it so it's touching the rim, and re-inflate. You probably won't need to rebalance it.

I've used fix-o-flat for slow leaks in the past with success. Worked like a charm. Never use it on tpms equipped vehicles of course. Unless you want to ruin the sensors. If you have any tire work done in the future let the guys know you've used the stuff.

If its aluminium you've gotta wire wheel the bead but in order to access the bead you gotta break it,hold it out of the way while you grind it.
It's easier to pay someone to do it.
And tire slime and fix a flat will not fix any sidewall or bead problems and in the case of fix a flat should only be used in emergencies.
Once the stuff hardens it throws the tire out of balance and its not balance able after using fix a flat. And the propellant is extremely flammable. I saw a guy take his beard off because he was smoking when he unscrewed the valve and the flammable air from the tire rushed out like a flamethrower.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
he was smoking when he unscrewed the valve and the flammable air from the tire rushed out like a flamethrower.

Next time he does that let me know so I can tape it and post it on youtube.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Clevy
he was smoking when he unscrewed the valve and the flammable air from the tire rushed out like a flamethrower.

Next time he does that let me know so I can tape it and post it on youtube.

HA. If a guy doesn't learn from that experience and does it again I would also love to be there.
If I knew it was gonna happen I would have filmed it myself. I've never seen anything like it. It lasted like 5 seconds. 10 foot flame.

what do you think about after grinding the wheel of putting a coat of primer on it to prevent the corrosion coming back? is there anything in primer that would be damaged the tire

It's probably leaking around the bead because it sat flat for a day or so. More than likely the original leak is elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
tire slime or fix-a-flat works,, we use it on our atv`s ...

I use Texas Refinery Corp Tire Sealer on some things. Its pink and comes in 6 gallon pails. Its for off road tires though. You put it in the tire and leave it there. Then scoop it out and dump it in the new tires if you want. They have a chart but for example a 20.5R25 Loader tire uses 2 gallons. If you need more of a repair, just scoop it out, wash the inside out and repair, then dump it back in.

Definatley tell the tire guys if youve used any type of sealer. Used to hate it when you'd get that stuff everywhere in the shop.

what are the disadvantage of using inner tube? I might be battling this soon too as one of the tire has slow leak.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what are the disadvantage of using inner tube? I might be battling this soon too as one of the tire has slow leak.

The tubeless tire was invented in 1946 by BFGoodrich. Tires have been improved time and time again since than. The liner in modern tires is not designed to be used with tubes, the tube rubbing against the liner will cause friction and heat, provoking a blow out.

Modern tires that can be used with tubes will have one of the following legends: "Tube Type"; or "Tubeless, On A Tube Type Rim Fit A Tube".

If you must use a tube on a tubeless tire, make sure the size legend of the tube contains an "R", use baby powder between the tube and tire to prevent friction, and you'll probably want to avoid any driving in excess of 50 mph.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Another [safety] disadvantage: Tubes have no self sealing capability. If you pick up a nail the tire will be completely flat within minutes, if not seconds. Once the air escapes through the tube's nail hole it filters out between the valve stem hole and the tube's valve stem.

Tubeless tires, on the other hand have a self sealing ability, with better quality tires and small enough nails it is possible to form a virtually air tight seal, preventing loss until the tire can be repaired.

The Costco service manager told that the corrosion was not that bad and they already cleaned it up. According to the tech, it should not leak any more. Well, I will find out in a week but at least the leak has been reduced as otherwise, it was losing quite a lot in three days.

I appreciate the detailed and logical answer on why using an inner tube is a bad idea. I wish there are more replies like that here rather than just plain assertions done by people who consider themselves to be internet experts.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back