Castrol Edge 5W/50 SN VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had this completed
showphoto.php

The CCV test for 20W is performed at -15C. The test for 5W is performed at -30C. As far as I know, Blackstone performs neither, so their comment regarding the 20W range has no validity, IMO.

Nice strong TBN in this oil.

probably just regular blackstone tard notes.

they dont even test cold so why should they call it a 20w50

its 50wt range when hot... cant infer anything else from their testing.

You're my hero! I'm SO glad I bought a ton of this oil now on the BOGO - I may just go stock up on a little more tomorrow if I have the $$$. Thanks again!!

I had a similarly strange explanation from them recently.

Eneos Sustina 0w50 tested as 0w40, yet they said "oh other Xw50s we test usually come back like that too"...which doesn't make sense.

Nice high ZDDP level.
The 17.42cSt KV100 VOA is lower than Castrol's published PDS figure of 18.5cSt.

The GP III 5W-50 oils tend to be very shear prone and have high NOACK values. If one actually needs to run a 50wt oil it's best to have an oil pressure gauge to make sure adequate OP is being maintained.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That's the wierdest Mg/Ca ratio I've ever seen in an oil.
Pass.

There seems to be a trend with the new full synthetics to replace around half of the normal Calcium content with Magnesium detergents. Mg is not quite as good a detergent as Ca, but as a side effect it is a better anti corrosive and corrosion is important in both bearing and cylinder wear.

Apparently the OP deleted the image. Not cool at all. And people complain when the mods kindly ask that results be posted as plain text instead of linked images...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Apparently the OP deleted the image. Not cool at all. And people complain when the mods kindly ask that results be posted as plain text instead of linked images...

I saved it. Give me a few, and I'll post it up tonight.

Thanks for re-posting the image KenO!

I now have planned my summer blend for the heat of NYC summers.

I blend a mix of 4 Quarts of Castrol Edge 5w50 and 2 quarts of Castrol SynBlend 5w20. All oils were picked up on clearance specials and will be run with one of the clearance filters, M1, 209 from Rock Auto.

This blend will hopefully get me through the heat of summer and into the chill of early autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back