MTF Api GL4/GL5 combined (aka GL4+) trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear guys i need of an info about trasmission oil.
I must change oil into my Honda Civic FK3.
Honda MTF is an API GL-4 rated oil.
In Italy genuine Honda MTF can not be found so I have to replace it with another 75w80.
In my research I came across some oils that are both GL4/GL5 or GL4+. It's sounds very strange to me. I know that these two specifications are incompatibles with each other.

So my main questions: is an MTF oil API GL4/GL5 (aka GL4+) fully compatible with a manual transmission that needs of a API GL4 oil?

Last edited:
I`d say no. Use a GL4 only. GL5 rated lubes will make it shift horribly. You`ll probably get gear crunch. See if you can get Amsoil shipped to Italy. If so, maybe order some Amsoil MTG. It`s a 75W90,so I`m not sure if the 90 part would be too thick. I`d spend some time on a few Honda forums and do some research to be sure and see what Honda owners are using.

I keep reading not to use dual rated blends on here, what tosh.

I've used a number over the years from Castrol, Torco and Motul and the synchro performance has been excellent, sometimes better than a competitors GL-4 blend. (eg. Redline)

There are plenty of excellent 75W-80 gear lubes available in Europe from all the major blenders that while dual rated shift very well.
Anything blended for Peugeot/Citroën/Renault in a 75W-80 would be fine too.

Castrol Syntrans is also available in a 75W-80 GL-4 blend called Syntrans Max, blended specifically for ZF commercial transmissions.

Use a GL4 oil only.

Honda is VERY particular about fluids like this.

As long as the weight is close and it is a GL4 ONLY product you should be fine.

"GL4+" sounds like marketing nonsense.

Last edited:
Actually Honda MTF is GL3 and is of 75W grade. These gear boxes run fine on synchromesh fluids and high zinc heavy diesel motor oil.
Even GL4+ would have a greater EP pack than GL4 alone and be risky in the long run...not to mention GL4/5 types. Some may have some inhibitors but who knows really...

use ONLY MT oil : GL-4 not GL4/5 or GL4+, it will eat your syncronmesh on tranny.

Redline mt 90 or Redline mtl is good choice. they are rated for GL-4 suitable for MT application.

Last edited:
The limited slip additive in GL5`s will mess up your tranny`s synchronization and you`ll get gear clash (a grind/crunch between shifts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back