2001 Impala front end bumps, cracks, and pops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2001 Chevy Impala with 121k miles. Whenever I go over bumps and sometimes when I turn there is a noise coming from the front end. It's hard to decribe but it is kind of like when you crack your knuckles. It could be in my head but I think I can feel it in the steering wheel. I'm assuming something in the suspension needs replaced. Any advice?

One issue on those vehicles that can cause a clunking noise you feel in the steering is the intermediate steering shaft. GM issued a updated steering shaft.

#01-02-32-001O: Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Stering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Turnign Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Shaft As Directed) - (Mar 27, 2008)

Models:2001-2004 Buick Regal
2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala
2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised to provide new I-shaft part numbers for servicing Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built PRIOR to January 1, 2006. A Corrective Action Summary has been added to this bulletin for quick reference. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001N (Section 02 -- Steering).
Corrective Action Summary:

Model Year
Vehicle Line
Corrective Action
2001-2004
Buick Regal
Replace using P/N 19179922
2005-2006
Buick Allure/LaCrosse
(built PRIOR to January 1, 2006)
Replace using P/N 25829292
2006-2007
Buick Allure/LaCrosse
(built AFTER to January 1, 2006)
Replace using P/N 25828562
2000-2005
Chevrolet Impala
Replace using P/N 19179923
2006-2008
Chevrolet Impala
Replace using P/N 25913681
2000-2005
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006-2007
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Replace using P/N 25913680
1998-2002
Oldsmobile Intrigue
2004-2008
Pontiac Grand Prix
Replace using P/N 25913680
Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360° of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel or when applying/releasing the brakes.
Cause

This condition may be caused by a "slip stick" condition resulting in the clunk noise or feel through the steering wheel.
Diagnostic Tip

Important: This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.
Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:
Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft -- not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.
Drive the vehicle straight ahead at idle speed while applying and releasing the brake pedal. Listen/feel the steering wheel for the clunk-/noise condition.
Correction

DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS
Replace the intermediate shaft
DO NOT lube the intermediate shaft.
Replace the existing intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information.
Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling
'01-'04 Buick Regal
'00-'05 Chev Monte Carlo
'98-'02 Olds Intrigue
'00-'05 Chev Impala
'06-'07 Chev Monte Carlo
'04-'08 Pont Grand Prix
'06-'08 Chev Impala
Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling '05-'06 Buick Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built PRIOR to January 1, 2006
Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling ’06-'07 Buick Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built AFTER January 1, 2006

Member above beat me to it. The ISS is a MAJOR issue with noises over bumps and such in that model and year range. If you can feel it in the steering wheel that would be my 1st place to start fixing it. Drove me NUTS on my Sister's 05 Impala when I drove it until she got it fixed.

Also Check the sway bar that its not broken on one end near the link. An Easy visual confirmation just to eliminate the possibility ....

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Also Check the sway bar that its not broken on one end near the link. An Easy visual confirmation just to eliminate the possibility ....
Thinking that same thing. Our 2000 Impala LS has had that noise forever. When the original cheap swaybar broke (hollow sheet metal) I replaced it with a solid aftermarket with new bushings. Much quieter now, but I heard the engine cradle had issues that made it creak and pop too? Our car suspension is kind of noisy anyway, but it would clunk when the leftover stubs would hit on certain bumps. Does the car lean alot on turns?

It's not covered under a recall because the shaft is noisy but not a safety issue. Depending on your relationship with the dealer you might be able to get them to cut you a break on price since it is a common problem but probably not. It's not super difficult to replace but getting access to it is a little awkward and you may have to use some force getting the shaft to slide off the rack&pinion coupling and you want to avoid turning the steering wheel while it is unhooked. The part is around $90 or so and labor should be under 1 hour.

There are other things that can cause clunking, so you might want look or have someone look at the front end. But if the shaft hasn't been replaced with the updated one it's for certain needs replaced.

Once the ISS is repalced, the other common causes are:
Upper strut mounts (Install quick struts or equivalents)
Sway bar links and frame brackets
Failing ball joints
Control arm bushings

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=41936
use spray lithium based grease
Easy Way: 20 Minutes (what some dealerships do)
1. Turn the steering wheel from center 1/4 turn left so that you can more easily access the ISS yoke.
(Turn the steering wheel from center 1/2 turn left (upside down) so that you can more easily access the upper bolt on the ISS.)

2. Remove the black trim panel, disconnect the light and then remove the fuse panel cover. Remove two screws holding the lower dash panel, pull to the rear of the car and away from the dash. If you try to move it up or down and not straight back you risk breaking the tabs. Unplug the trunk switch to remove the panel from the car.
3. Pull back the black boot that covers the ISS and spray the grease down into the opening.
4. Reassemble the lower dash.
5. Drive, be happy.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=41936
use spray lithium based grease
Easy Way: 20 Minutes (what some dealerships do)
1. Turn the steering wheel from center 1/4 turn left so that you can more easily access the ISS yoke.
(Turn the steering wheel from center 1/2 turn left (upside down) so that you can more easily access the upper bolt on the ISS.)

2. Remove the black trim panel, disconnect the light and then remove the fuse panel cover. Remove two screws holding the lower dash panel, pull to the rear of the car and away from the dash. If you try to move it up or down and not straight back you risk breaking the tabs. Unplug the trunk switch to remove the panel from the car.
3. Pull back the black boot that covers the ISS and spray the grease down into the opening.
4. Reassemble the lower dash.
5. Drive, be happy.

Only a temp fix. Fix it once, right, and be done with it.

This has been a common topic on the Cadillac Owners' Forum. Strut mounts on the big GM cars seem to be failing regularly. I have a bad one on my DTS right now. I think the Impala shares some front end parts with the DeVille/DTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back