5.0 Coyote PU recomends 5W30.?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil 'Oil finder site' recommends their 5w30 PU. Ford manual says only 5w20. The Boss302 and Trac pac cars are spec'd with 5w50 for the same motor. Any ideas as to any issues with Ford over warranty coverage? I want to use the best oil for my garage queen. I wonder if my dealer will put 5w30 in if I bring them the oil? I guess I can ask. Or I will just do my own changes again. I just want the Ford dealer records to show history of my services.

If you're concerned about warranty, I'd be wary of it. 5W30 shouldn't cause a single issue but service managers get paid to notice discrepancies with stuff like that. Does your manual really say only 5W20, nothing about 5W30 for high temps or towing or anything? (Yeah, I know, towing, gimme a break right; but sometimes the manual refers to stuff like that as a nice loophole).

After 25 years in a ford dealership I can tell you that if it isnt sludged there will be no questions asked. They dont care if its 5w20 or 5w30. Please us a good filter with a silicone valve in it. Wal mart or autozone has motorcraft filters for less than 4 bucks. The 5w20 is speced for cafe requirements. I have never seen a warranty voided due to oil wieght or brand, air filters are a different story. I have seen warranty declined because of oiled gauze filters.

Perhaps one of the differences were due to one engine having piston oil jets??? I'm not 100% sure but this thought comes to mind. If you're that worried then just continue to have it serviced at the dealer through the warranty period, that is what I'd do in your situation, too.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
After 25 years in a ford dealership I can tell you that if it isnt sludged there will be no questions asked. They dont care if its 5w20 or 5w30. Please us a good filter with a silicone valve in it. Wal mart or autozone has motorcraft filters for less than 4 bucks. The 5w20 is speced for cafe requirements. I have never seen a warranty voided due to oil wieght or brand, air filters are a different story. I have seen warranty declined because of oiled gauze filters.

This is a post I agree with.

Just have the ford house put a synthetic in it in a grade of their choice. And when the warranty is up run whatever you want

Yep,Boss 302 and GT have the same engine,with the Boss having different suspension and brakes.

Most Coyote fans would be quick to remind you that the Boss and the reg. 5.0 are NOT the same engines. Cams and such are substantially different! A host of changes...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Yep,Boss 302 and GT have the same engine,with the Boss having different suspension and brakes.

Th coyote 5.0 and roadrunner 5.0 are not the same engine.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G

What`s different about them?

Factory CNC ported heads, different pistons, different rods, different cams, different intakes......

That's for starters.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Factory CNC ported heads, different pistons, different rods, different cams, different intakes......

That's for starters.

Are they harder on oil,or does Ford just assume they`ll get a pounding?

Are they harder on oil,or does Ford just assume they`ll get a pounding?

They wind higher (and make more power), and yes, Ford assumes they will be harder on oil, hence the 5w50. Remember, the GT track-pack (your plain-Jane 420HP Coyote) also spec's 5w50 and it does not differ mechanically in any way from the regular GT.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Remember, the GT track-pack (your plain-Jane 420HP Coyote) also spec's 5w50 and it does not differ mechanically in any way from the regular GT.

Right on! I never knew that :^)

I drove a Boss 302 the other day and it needed ALOT more tire! I couldn`t give it any pedal in 2nd gear without spinning out. INSANE powerband! Felt like the powerband of a 2 stroke dirt bike,like it just won`t quit accelerating! A truly AWESOME car!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I what the factory fill is on this bad boy?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300

This engine is RETARDED
crazy2.gif
I seriously wonder what the true potential of this thing is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back