Rotella T6 HTHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the following information on T6 5w-40 from a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of some oils. Unfortunately I don't have the reference document to back up this info.

Viscosity at 40C: 87
Viscosity at 100C: 14.2
Pour Point: -45C
Viscosity Index: 169.5
CCS: 6,000 @ -30C
HT/HS: 4

Hope this helps.

Ian

I have Shell Rotella T6 5w40 in cases for my bike have not used it in my motorcycle yet, I tried to find out the HT/HS but can't find it anywhere on the internet. I did look at the Petro Canada specs for their Duron-E XL 15w40 below for my bike.
Flash Point 235C
cSt@40C/SUS@100F 114/586
cSt@100C/SUS@210F 15.5/81.2
VI 144
HT/HS 4.5
TBN 10.3

My last OCI for my bike at 3000km the Rotella T5 5w40 came out like water and I'm concerned about the shearing going on in my shared transmission/clutch. So thinking of switching to the Duron-E Blend 15w40

Last edited:
What temperature? Your other posts make the same observation but how would you know what the viscosity was without a test?

Originally Posted By: Degreaser

My last OCI for my bike at 3000km the Rotella T5 5w40 came out like water and I'm concerned about the shearing going on in my shared transmission/clutch. So thinking of switching to the Duron-E Blend 15w40

Right after I came home from a ride, and while the oil was still hot I drained it. I compared the oil to previous oil drains when I drained 15w40

Originally Posted By: Degreaser
Right after I came home from a ride, and while the oil was still hot I drained it. I compared the oil to previous oil drains when I drained 15w40

It was likely the same viscosity as 15w40 when drained hot... you know, about a 40 weight?
laugh.gif

Observing how the oil pours at some unknown temperature out of a crankcase is perhaps the least scientific and most error-prone way to guesstimate oil viscosity. Send off a sample for UOA or buy an Ostwald viscometer if you actually want to find out if it actually sheared in service. My preference is to make decisions based on factual evidence, not anecdotes or untrained, unscientific observations in an uncontrolled environment.

But if running 15w40 makes you sleep better at night...
21.gif

I see the phrase "poured like water" so often on here, it makes no sense. So what if it did anyway, especially when hot? What is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back