Broke a Horror Freight Impact Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bolt for a medium size brush hog blade needs to be torqued to about 500 ft lbs. I can imagine what it would be getting it off after it being on there for a few years.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Ok, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem here? The torque for a high grade 12.9 22mm hex/14mm bolt is 234 nm or 173 ft lbs. Critic said he was at about 250 lbs of torque an was using an impact that puts out 750 lbs. Is my math not correct? If it is, I think the socket was fine, just way over torqued. I'm thinking he was lucky he didn't break the part/bolt.

The Toyota torque spec for those bolts is 177 ft-lbs. The 250 ft-lb number was a guess, I just hammered at the bolt for a while with my impact (not sure what I was thinking, probably was being rushed), and the torque wrench just clicked. I would guestimate that the final torque was probably somewhere between 200-250 ft-lbs.

And yes, I should probably replace the bolts at the next strut replacement....they are suppose to be replaced each time, I believe.

Last edited:
Mine are a thick black power coat version 1/2" in a red case, and appear to me a lot thicker and stronger than those. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: OilFool
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I never use impact tools to tighten stuff.

What about to take stuff off?

Huge 1-1/4" lugs on a Land Rover soaked in Kroil and still a 750 Ft Lb Ingersoll could not get them off even close to easy.
Had to use anti seize afterwards because even a huge 48" persuasion bar didn't work.

I do use mine to take stuff off, but I use by breaker bar to move it the first 1/4 turn before using the impact stuff.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mine are a thick black power coat version 1/2" in a red case, and appear to me a lot thicker and stronger than those. So far so good.

I think I have that same one.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 3311
Ok, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem here? The torque for a high grade 12.9 22mm hex/14mm bolt is 234 nm or 173 ft lbs. Critic said he was at about 250 lbs of torque an was using an impact that puts out 750 lbs. Is my math not correct? If it is, I think the socket was fine, just way over torqued. I'm thinking he was lucky he didn't break the part/bolt.

The Toyota torque spec for those bolts is 177 ft-lbs. The 250 ft-lb number was a guess, I just hammered at the bolt for a while with my impact (not sure what I was thinking, probably was being rushed), and the torque wrench just clicked. I would guestimate that the final torque was probably somewhere between 200-250 ft-lbs.

And yes, I should probably replace the bolts at the next strut replacement....they are suppose to be replaced each time, I believe.
Yeah, probably a good idea to replace them when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back