2011 Honda Accord 4Cyl ATF change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Auto 4cyl Accord Coupe which I've had since new. The car has 35k miles on it and the maintenance minder has not yet told me to change the Transmission fluid. The 2011 and newer hondas take DW-1 vs. the old Z1 Honda ATF. I know on a 2008 Civic I had the MM would say to change it every 20k and that Z1 would always get dirty fast. This DW-1 seems to hold it's color better but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do a 3 drain and refill even though the MM hasn't told me to or shall I wait for the MM to tell me to? I only want what's best for the transmission but I also hate to waste hard earned cash ahead of time.

Last edited:
My '08 CR-V didn't show the code for ATF change until 60,000 miles. I've been doing 3 drain and fills at 30,000 to be on the safe side.

IMO, if it had 60K+ on it and the ATF hadn't been touched yet, I might be inclined to do the Honda 3x drain.

At ~35K, I'd do a single drain/fill and maybe do one a year from then on.

I do one a year on my Honda.

Joel

Our '08 CR-V didn't trigger an ATF change until after 60k miles as well. I'd do it every 30k miles at least. I drain and refill ours once every 15k miles.

Hey Matt,

I am beginning to mull over this issue as well. As you can see in my signature, I own and drive the same Accord as you do, an EX-L coupe with the K24Z3 four banger. I am coming up on my third oil change at about an interval of some 9000 miles. I plan on letting the Maintenance Minder (MM) go to zero percent this time.

The total mileage for my Accord at the next upcoming oil change in a month or so will be some 24,000 miles. I think that I just may go ahead and do a drain and fill of the AT fluid and be done with it since I am going to be under the car and on my back anyway. Then I will go ahead and drain and fill the AT fluid at each engine oil change scheduled with the MM as well.

I suppose when the MM finally calls for the three times drain and fill at some 60,000 miles or so, I will go ahead and perform this as well.

Keep us posted on what you decide. If you follow the MM, you should be technically alright if you wait until about 60,000 miles. Certainly keep an eye on the AT fluid by checking every month or so. The fluid keeping a light pink color is at least a cursory indication of the fluid.

Drain and refill every 30k with DW-1. Most of the newer 5-spd autos take 3.5 qt (exception of the smaller ones in the Fit and Civic).

The Maint minder usually calls for a change at about 60k, then every 30k thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back