Jiffy Lube filter or bring my own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I need to do an oil change and I usually bring my own (Purolator PureOne) but seeing as how the price of an oil change has gone up again, I'm wondering if I can save a few bucks and still get the protection for my truck by just using the filter at Jiffy Lube, or whatever oil change place I wind up at.

Thoughts?

I'd go to walmart, they have an "off the shelf" oil change deal and they sell purolators there. (though I don't know about pureones-- maybe just classics)

That way if there's a problem there's less finger pointing.

If you are going to use a P1 I would bring it in. Jiffy Lube will use whatever they can get cheaply in bulk. Valvoline is supposed to have decent filters but if you are going to JL I would bring in the P1

The VIOC shops use re-badged Purolator Classics. I'm not sure of the Jiffy Lube. It's probably one of the Chinese Champ knockoffs. I'd bring my own.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
How about the dealer? Most offer prices as good or better than those quick oil places and they use an OEM filter at least here.

One of the local GM dealers has a $19.99 oil change using their Delco oil and filter. Even with disposal that isnt a bad deal

my idea is, ALL WAYS bring your own oil and filter. i herd of case where the engine oil tank at the shop was mistakenly filled with hydrolic oil. need i say what happened?

I wouldn't set foot at any Jiffy Lube
31.gif

http://www.wimp.com/lubeinvestigated/

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I wouldn't set foot at any Jiffy Lube
31.gif

http://www.wimp.com/lubeinvestigated/

I agree in doing in yourself, but that video is at least 10 years old. Also JL is owned by Pennzoil, so they do use quality products. I think I read that there Pennzoil filters are rebadged Champion filters anyway.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Ok so I need to do an oil change and I usually bring my own (Purolator PureOne) but seeing as how the price of an oil change has gone up again, I'm wondering if I can save a few bucks and still get the protection for my truck by just using the filter at Jiffy Lube, or whatever oil change place I wind up at.

Thoughts?

If you must use iffy lube, bring your own filter and insist upon watching every move they make. Obviously, I don't trust them.

Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Thoughts?

Well, you are getting bulk oil so why not a bulk filter? I would go to WM.

While I am no fan of Jiffy Lube the ones here use Pennzoil. It is not cheap no name bulk stuff. A friend managed a local JL and it was definitely Pennzoil in the tanks.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Thoughts?

Well, you are getting bulk oil so why not a bulk filter? I would go to WM.

While I am no fan of Jiffy Lube the ones here use Pennzoil. It is not cheap no name bulk stuff. A friend managed a local JL and it was definitely Pennzoil in the tanks.

they could add used oil to it at night.
find an honest garage.

The local JLs in my area use MileGuard filters, which I understand to be the economy version of an OCOD. They also no longer have the PF52-sized filter for my work van, so it gets the thimble-sized PF47 version.

Fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back