Got an ooold bottle of some STP Oil Treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this stuff? Wife brought it into the marriage and it's probably 5 years old. She took it out of a box she had from college...she also had some Regane which I happily accepted and put in. But this treatment. It's opened, I think she used it on an old oil burner she had to keep the engine together.

Is it worth keeping or using? Or should I throw it out? It's a blue bottle.

Since when does five years qualify as "ooold"?

I guess it might be when you're 20...
lol.gif

save it for the summer and throw in half a bottle of that to thicken the grade. It's got viscosity index improvers. Is the any other function to STP? I still have a partial bottle of the stuff laying around; I'll never buy that stuff again though.

lol I've never used it, and it seems to always be looked down upon on Bitog, but I have to say that I know a couple of old timers who have been dumping a bottle in with every oil change since the 1950's and swear by it. As far as I know it has never ruined an engine?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
lol I've never used it, and it seems to always be looked down upon on Bitog, but I have to say that I know a couple of old timers who have been dumping a bottle in with every oil change since the 1950's and swear by it. As far as I know it has never ruined an engine?

I've got a couple of brothers I ride with. They swear Lucas helps quiet their evo engines,but end up cleaning sludge out of the heads every off season.
I try to explain that the Lucas dilutes the oil and its additives but they are old timers and don't listen.
My twin cam runs way hotter than those evos do,I've settled on either RP auto 20w-50 or motul 10w-60 and I pulled a rocker cover and guess what,no sludge.
I put MOS2 in my twin can once. Didn't do much so I never used it again.

Is it the basic blue bottle stuff? That is about 200 cSt at 100C!
shocked2.gif
If it is red bottle, it would be about 100 cSt. Both have boosted zddp as I recall. but the nice stuff was the gold bottle "STP 6000 Mile Oil Extender." Was more much thinner, like about 30 cSt as I recall, and had boosted zddp. That stuff was closing out about 10 years ago.

STP is regarded as the classic snake oil in the EU, because they were one of the first companies to sell oil additives on a significant scale. Dodgy used car salesmen used their basic thickner to silence rattlers and some folks even used them as an alternative to an oil change.

Originally Posted By: skyship
STP is regarded as the classic snake oil in the EU, because they were one of the first companies to sell oil additives on a significant scale. Dodgy used car salesmen used their basic thickner to silence rattlers and some folks even used them as an alternative to an oil change.

Yuck. Well perhaps I may choose to use it in a 5w20 change where I want thicker oil but I have thinner oil.

It used to be the thing to throw in back when 10w40 sheared to 10w10 after a couple thousand miles. IIRC small block chevies loved/ needed it. For all we know her dad gave it to her before she went for college as some sort of guardian angel to ward off car demons.

32.gif
I had a buddy put about two quarts of motor honey (different category of evil) in a 3 cyl geo metro in the middle of winter. It still ran! He got it from Jamesway department stores when they went tango uniform. Motor honey didn't even claim to be good for your engine, just that it would stop the smoke (at any cost).

We could have smoked a couple butts in the time it took to empty the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

The old timers could accomplish the same thing by buying higher viscosity oils and banking the money saved by not purchasing the oil additives. That wouldn't ruin their engines either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back