Stuck Oil Filter on 2010 Toyota Prius, a Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter housing on Prius can be overtightened by shops and may be unable to remove with a standard filter wrench with a hex cap shape alone. I tried to remove it on my Prius with a standard wrench. The result was that the little round plate with the 3/8 ratchet fitting in the center that is spot welded to the filter wrench just broke right off of the wrench at the spot welds.
After looking around on the web, I found a filter wrench that grabs not only the hex top, but the entire cap including the six tabs that stand up from the base of the filter cap. This filter wrench has six slots at the edge that fit down over these tabs that make it impossible for the wrench to slip. It is well constructed; it is made from a solid cast pour not rolled thin sheet metal. It has 64.5 mm width and probably works on several model years.
The filter wrench is manufactured by Private Brand Tools or PBT, part number 71110 of Australia. It can be found on Amazon or EBay. I bought it from Amazon.com for $27 including shipping. It was well worth the money. The filter came off the first time I turned the wrench. Nothing else would get it off and I didn't have to wrap the filter housing in cloth to ensure a tight fit either.

I've removed many stuck filters with driving a screwdriver through the filter and turning it. Had to do that with my co-worker's 2012 Honda Civic. I don't have a cap wrench that fits a Honda OEM filter, and the filter was too far up behind other parts (and hanging vertically) to use a strap wrench. So I had to put a screwdriver through it.

OP is talking about a cartridge filter housing cap. Here's the tool he refereed to. Can't do the screwdriver trick on this setup.
frown.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Brand-Tools-PBT71110-Cylinder/dp/B005R3SSMW

511uwAI8UrL.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
OP is talking about a cartridge filter housing cap. Here's the tool he refereed to. Can't do the screwdriver trick on this setup.

You just have to want it bad enough....

Kidding aside I have the assenmacher as well and it works on our Sienna. I've seen people use a big vise grips on those nubs down by the base as well. Hopefully this isn't a problem I run into, though.

You would not believe these Prius oil filter housings. It is a big, solid piece of plastic that holds a paper-synthetic filter. It has male threads on the outside of the lower portion and an o-ring to seal it when it is screwed into the receiving cavity in the motor.

I have never had to apply so much pressure to an oil filter to get it off before. I used a short piece of pipe to extend my ratchet handle about 1.5 feet. It was strange, though, that using this PBT filter wrench made the job a lot less difficult. You have to have the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
+1 the craftsman universal oil filter wrench works great and will grip even if filter is covered in oil. It also works to get at the filter in tight spaces where you cant get a big channelock wrench around it.

+1 only use it to remove filters and only hand tight to install the filters.

When we got our Prius the dealership had screwed the filter on so tight it would not budge at all. I almost pulled a muscle trying to get the sucker off.

I finally got a filter wrench (the ones that look like pliers) and gripped on it. I twisted and turned it, and got it off. When I did the thing looked like a crushed pop can but it worked.

I'd try the pliers type filter wrenches.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
When we got our Prius the dealership had screwed the filter on so tight it would not budge at all. I almost pulled a muscle trying to get the sucker off.

I finally got a filter wrench (the ones that look like pliers) and gripped on it. I twisted and turned it, and got it off. When I did the thing looked like a crushed pop can but it worked.

I'd try the pliers type filter wrenches.

I use the assenmacher and a 1/2" cordless impact wrench. Zips those stuck on ones right off.

One of my cars has a cartridge oil filter but the housing is aluminum and it has a 3/8" socket attachment on the end; it never has been a problem for me to change the filter. If anyone at a shop tightens a filter with an impact or air wrench, they should be fired!

Anyone needing one of these tools should go to Advance and order it in person. Part number ASSTOY640. Good for a laugh.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Anyone needing one of these tools should go to Advance and order it in person. Part number ASSTOY640. Good for a laugh.

Haha, serious?
crazy2.gif
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back