Air compressor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im needing top up for a Champion air compressor, however I cannot get the proper oil due to circumstances beyond my control. Is there something else that might work? I was thinking maybe some 10W40 motor oil might do the trick.

What oil does it ask for? Most home supply stores, tool stores and Sears carry SAE30 air compressor oil. This is NOT the same as SAE30 motor oil. It doesn't usually cost much for a bottle.

I've been known to use motor oil in a pinch because some oil is better than no oil without any catastrophic results.

However, it is best for the life of the compressor (specifically the valves) to use a compressor oil. They are generally ash free and limit valve deposits when used in compressors.

If you can't get it locally you can order some online and have it delivered. Are there any auto repair shops or cabinet shops around? They might have a stock of oil for their compressors that you could buy off them.

Dont stock air compressor oil. I checked here. We have the CH air TOOL oil, but no compressor oil.

I completely forgot about ash. Thats a very good point.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Only stuff available to me is normal WalMart stock.
WM stocks a ND SAE30 which will work fine.

I 2nd that. It's SA rated and it actually says on the back of the bottle that about all it's good for is compressors.

Do you have a Napa near you? They carry the Valvoline Non-detergent SAE 30 SB oil with a picture of an air compressor on the bottle.
smile.gif

It's a step up from the WM stuff. It appears to be a group II with just a touch of ZDDP. -18C pour point, 0.04 Zn.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im needing top up for a Champion air compressor, however I cannot get the proper oil due to circumstances beyond my control. Is there something else that might work? I was thinking maybe some 10W40 motor oil might do the trick.

Amsoil has great synthetic options for a pretty good price.

Quin-Cip is a mineral oil specially formulated for air compressors. I've used this stuff in marine duty air compressors that see hard and heavy use with nothing in the way of piston scuffing or ring wear and little to no ash deposits on the valves. I'm not saying to buy from these folks as the price seems really high, but this should give you an idea: http://www.tptools.com/p/3434,89_Quincy-QUIN-CIP%C2%AE-Compressor-Oil.html

About a year and a half ago, my boss squealed about the cost of a pail of this and had us start using Mobil DTE 26 hydraulic oil, and the top ends of the compressors are noticably more coked up that they were on the Quin-Cip.
Tom

Hello, I am a mechanic (smitty) and I just purchased a new Craftsman Professional 1.9 horse single stage air compressor (dual piston motor)and it is calling for synthetic non-detergent air compressor oil. Funny, but they can't help me on what type of oil to use. Would you happen to have a good suggestion on a brand or type? It has been very frustrating. lol. Thank you..

Amsoil makes the best air compressor oil on the planet.
I've got 12 5.5 hp v-twin air compressors. Amsoil is the only oil that allows the pumps to actually turn over in -35 winter days. And it lasts nearly forever. You would likely never need to change it,depending on usage.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
What oil does it ask for? Most home supply stores, tool stores and Sears carry SAE30 air compressor oil. This is NOT the same as SAE30 motor oil.
My Craftsman compressor manual simply says "SAE30 Non-detergent". So do I need special air-compressor oil or is ND motor oil acceptable?

While compresser oils may be non detergent as required by different mfgs. they are almost universal in requiring anti-foam additives an rust or oxidation additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back