Lucas fuel treatment/injecter cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed in the past. But I forgot just how well this stuff seems to make my vehicle run. As we all know the winter blend gutter water they call fuel, is loaded with [censored],as well as a very dry fuel. So for the Heck of it I was out in the garage, and saw some I have left on my work bench. And decided to put it in the tank, washed it down with some fuel I have for our generator (because this stuff gets real thick in the cold) Anyway, this morning going to work I noticed a definite power improvement and throttle response! Now some of you call it Snake oil etc. But if this Snake oil makes an improvement like this, I`ll use it.

Thanks for the post. I have seen that stuff at WM and always wondered if it worked. I am a big Techron fan but lately the price of Techron is getting too high. I think I'll give the Lucas a shot.

Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Thanks for the post. I have seen that stuff at WM and always wondered if it worked. I am a big Techron fan but lately the price of Techron is getting too high. I think I'll give the Lucas a shot.

Try it, and let us know what you think of it.

I don't think Lucas does any cleaning at all but it has some upper cylinder lubrication benefits...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I don't think Lucas does any cleaning at all but it has some upper cylinder lubrication benefits...

+1 Their deep system cleaner is pretty good too. I was always a Berryman kind of guy but as an UCL Lucas does a nice job.

I used the tune up in a bottle a few years ago in my Dodge and my wife"s 04 Mazda 6 v6 she previously had, my Dodge was fine with it but her Mazda tripped the engine light almost immediately and began to miss a little, I thought it would clear up but even after running that tank out and another it still had the same issue, off to Mazda it goes,I never told them I added anything to the tank, I get a call from the service writer, we are still workin on it and up to this point cant find the problem, they are dropping the gas tank as we speak. Next day they call me again, your car is ready, we never really found anything, but we cleaned the injectors and now its all good.
I never used it again for obvious reasons, I wonder if the extra lubricant somehow made the injectors act up. Bit of a mystery.

Good point! Been into the PEA adds so much recently maybe a visit back to Lucas to compare is a good idea. Maybe they changed/modernized the brew like the oil companies. I have noticed Techron prices going down not up, always on sale.

I've been thinking about another brew. Was going to mix Techron Concentrate Plus and Gumout All-In-One because I found out it had PEA. But thanks to this thread its gonna be a Techron Concentrate Plus/Lucas brew.

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
I used the tune up in a bottle a few years ago in my Dodge and my wife"s 04 Mazda 6 v6 she previously had, my Dodge was fine with it but her Mazda tripped the engine light almost immediately and began to miss a little, I thought it would clear up but even after running that tank out and another it still had the same issue, off to Mazda it goes,I never told them I added anything to the tank, I get a call from the service writer, we are still workin on it and up to this point cant find the problem, they are dropping the gas tank as we speak. Next day they call me again, your car is ready, we never really found anything, but we cleaned the injectors and now its all good.
I never used it again for obvious reasons, I wonder if the extra lubricant somehow made the injectors act up. Bit of a mystery.

You were real dirty and OD'd. Clogged the injectors with deposits from the tank. Can happen with any product. Why maintenance doses are the best method. Last tank of every oil change if your OCI is 7-8k, every other oil change if your OCI is 3-5k. Your spooked so your likely not doing anything now right?

Oops, I spelled Injector wrong......
45.gif

There have been some technical papers published that show that the presence of polymeric materials in the combustion chamber can help with a more complete combustion of the fuel. I think that Lucas may be benefitting from this as it is some type of polymeric material dissolved in a carrier from what I can tell.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
There have been some technical papers published that show that the presence of polymeric materials in the combustion chamber can help with a more complete combustion of the fuel. I think that Lucas may be benefitting from this as it is some type of polymeric material dissolved in a carrier from what I can tell.

Looking at your credentials, I believe you must know what your talking about re; this.
grin.gif

You guessed it, I havent used anything since , lol.. Thinking about it, thats more than likely what happened, a chunk of debris must have been dislodged and got hung up somewhere.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

You were real dirty and OD'd. Clogged the injectors with deposits from the tank. Can happen with any product. Why maintenance doses are the best method. Last tank of every oil change if your OCI is 7-8k, every other oil change if your OCI is 3-5k. Your spooked so your likely not doing anything now right?

I have had good results from Redex, run of the mill injector cleaner.

Have used it for years.

Wife's Clio was a little smokey of late, on acceleration, treated it with every tank of diesel for a couple of weeks and now it has no smoke whatsoever. Just like it was when it was bought with less than 30k on the clock.

I have used semi synth 2 stroke oil on and off to provide some extra lube and cleaning.

It made a very noticeable difference to the way the engine ran in my old Mk3 Mondeo tdci, but not in any other vehicle I have added it to, at least not as noticable.

I think some additives do benefit engines, it is finding the good ones.

Redex has been on the market for years.

There are lots of different fuel additives available and some of the better products have full manufacturers approvals. Most folks that use good quality fuel don't need fuel additives, but if that is not the case then they can be a good idea as a preventative.
If you think your injectors need cleaning, the direct feed fuel injector cleaners work far better than fuel tank additives.
For folks with a dirty diesel tank I would not bother using additives, as cleaning the tank is the only way to get a reliable result and if you put fuel system cleaners in the tank it can result in a blocked fuel filter.
It is worth asking your dealer for advice on which fuel additive to use, just in case some of the seals in the fuel system don't like certain additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
There are lots of different fuel additives available and some of the better products have full manufacturers approvals. Most folks that use good quality fuel don't need fuel additives, but if that is not the case then they can be a good idea as a preventative.
If you think your injectors need cleaning, the direct feed fuel injector cleaners work far better than fuel tank additives.
For folks with a dirty diesel tank I would not bother using additives, as cleaning the tank is the only way to get a reliable result and if you put fuel system cleaners in the tank it can result in a blocked fuel filter.
It is worth asking your dealer for advice on which fuel additive to use, just in case some of the seals in the fuel system don't like certain additives.
Educate yourself on fuel system cleaners.
http://www.openroadpodcast.com/pdfs/CGLMediaTour.pdf

You guessed it, I havent used anything since , lol.. Thinking about it, thats more than likely what happened, a chunk of debris must have been dislodged and got hung up somewhere.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Its ok, it happens. Just use smaller doses, a little at a time. See the attached link from my last reply for the benefits of fuel system cleaners

Lucas contains PIB. From what I've read the high molecular weight stuff works better than the low molecular with stuff. Lucas uses the latter. And don't over dose or it will be worse on fuel,from experience.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Lucas contains PIB. From what I've read the high molecular weight stuff works better than the low molecular with stuff. Lucas uses the latter. And don't over dose or it will be worse on fuel,from experience.

Too early to tell on the fuel millage part of it. But we`ll see.

That Lucas is crud! Motor oil with a few detergents.
The absolute worst gas additive rip off I know of.

I have used it regularly, noted no difference except more combustion chamber deposits.
Lousy stuff!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
That Lucas is crud! Motor oil with a few detergents.
The absolute worst gas additive rip off I know of.

I have used it regularly, noted no difference except more combustion chamber deposits.
Lousy stuff!

Any time I ever used it it seemed to help mileage however it never lasted. 1 or 2 tanks were better then mileage would slowly return to normal.
It almost makes the consider that the engines ecu calibrates mileage. Once it gets too good the ecu does something to make the fuel consumption come back to programmed parameters.
I've found if I alternate different products and keep the ecu guessing I can routinely beat the advertised averages.
Tin foil hat on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back