warm up or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the general thinking on newer gas engines is to gently drive off with no warm up. Any thoughts on diesel warm up? Drive off or wait a bit ?

Diesel? I would wait only as long as the engine doesn't struggle. Under 10F I'd be likely to let it warm for a minute or two. But you won't hurt it either way.

The colder it is, the longer I'd wait. Mostly to get idle rpm down to sane levels, so it doesn't bang into gear (most vehicles being automatics).

on my older diesel I do like to idle a bit, like 5 minutes at 10F or so. It's pretty sluggish until it gets some heat into it. But even then, about three of those minutes are me being inside and getting warm again: if I'm leaving work it's more like 60 seconds, even at -10F.

Just take it easy. It'll warm up faster with gentle driving, as opposed to idling.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Has this not been covered before?

Many many times. Surely it also depends on whether there is snow or ice over the car? Windows clear. 10 seconds and it's in D. Otherwise let it run while you clean the windows.

Just wait 30 seconds then drive off, BUT keep the revs real low until warmed up. One of the worst things is to start a modern engine that has an ECU with your foot on the accelerator in the same way as was required for older engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back