copper jumper cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those looking for jumper cables, these Juice cables (some on Amazon) are 100% copper wire. Decent prices.

The following are 100% Copper.

Ultimate Power Booster Cables:

BC0860C
BC0860PDQC

Ultra Power Booster Cables:

BC0840C
BC0840PDQC

High Power Booster Cables:

BC0820C
BC0820PDQC

Standard Power Booster Cables:

BC0800C
BC0800PDQC

Thanks for those links.

Im going to buy a set from custombatterycables... They offer fine strand parallel bonded booster cable in #2 with 500A parrot clamps.

For the same conductivity, copper cables would be thinner than aluminium cables.

Having worked with aluminium house wiring and seeing how easily the wire breaks off when bent a number of times, I would be hesitant to buy aluminium cables. Perhaps they can tolerate the flexing from jumper cable duty because they are finely stranded.

All that said, I have never seen aluminium jumper cables. I have seen ads for them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thanks for those links.

Im going to buy a set from custombatterycables... They offer fine strand parallel bonded booster cable in #2 with 500A parrot clamps.

Those sound like mine. They are 20ft long (my grandfather made them for jumping boats) and are 0 gauge.

Originally Posted By: George7941
All that said, I have never seen aluminium jumper cables. I have seen ads for them.

I recently saw my first instance of aluminum-wire jumper cables at Home Depot. Part of their holiday season deals (were still there last time I stopped in), they were $10 for 8ga (8ft?) and looked decent enough.

The wire LOOKS copper because it is plated with copper ... nice trick. There was fine print on the package somewhere that said it was copper-clad aluminum wire. Didn't find them online but these might be the same product:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/emergency-safety-kit/807111

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: George7941

I recently saw my first instance of aluminum-wire jumper cables at Home Depot. Part of their holiday season deals (were still there last time I stopped in), they were $10 for 8ga (8ft?) and looked decent enough.

The wire LOOKS copper because it is plated with copper ... nice trick. There was fine print on the package somewhere that said it was copper-clad aluminum wire. Didn't find them online but these might be the same product:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/emergency-safety-kit/807111

mmm, new to me as well, I have never saw jump cable made of AL before. I would sprint few more $$ and buy the copper one. I think AL is too brittle and easily oxidize. I only use it 3 or 4 times in 10 years, but it better work when I need it.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
It only matters when you are running electricity through them!

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Of course in a pinch, I wonder how much it matters really.

I like to get the right/optimal stuff. That said, with all the discussion of busted alternators and how one should disconnect the live vehicle before trying to jump, to protect its alternator... I wonder in reality how much it really matters. Sure, its a few tenths of a volt potentially in terms of drop, and associated I^2 heating of the cable. But this is highly irregular use.

Of course in a pinch, I wonder how much it matters really. ... Sure, its a few tenths of a volt potentially in terms of drop, and associated I^2 heating of the cable. But this is highly irregular use.

Just did a quick check on 8' of 8ga wire using this calculator (100A, 50C):
http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

I get the following numbers:
4.8% = Copper
7.8% = Aluminum

So not quite twice the drop but it's significant. To get the same drop you'd need to use either:

6ga Aluminum = 8ga Copper
10ga Copper ~ 8ga Aluminum

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the quality of the clamps matters more than the conductor. Usually the jerk you're jumping also has corroded battery connections, or, if a GM, the little tiny 5/16" bolt head will have surface rust. Need good clamps to scratch through that.

If an emergency cable kit gets uncoiled just once it's worth the ten bucks to get someone out of a jam and the metal fatigue won't be an issue. Not that this is a trend I want to see taking off.
wink.gif

PS I have a big lots set of 10 gauge copper cables I paid $5 for a few years back and it jumps fine. I rev the donor car up to 3k RPM and, naturally, make good connections. Always works.
01.gif

I attempted to jump someone once with their 12' 10 awg cables. Their battery was relatively new and drained completely. The wire started smoking by the connectors 5 seconds after hookup and I removed the clamp.

We borrowed a real pair of jumper cables to complete the task.

I have a set of 10 gauge, 12' cables I bought back in 1993 that I still use (still work fine, no problems). It seems as though 6 gauge cables are recommended for jumping larger vehicles. I'm currently looking for a good set of 6 gauge cables to keep in the car.

The gauge certainly matters, but so does the length. While 6 gauge might be good for 12', 4 gauge would be better for 20'.

I agree, the clamps are important also.

I have a bunch of old 10 gauge pure copper speaker wire, I bought 4 clamps and made my own 10' jumper cables by double up the 10 gauge speaker wire, so that the home made jumper is about 7 gauge.

I tried it once to jump start the LS400, it works okay and the wire didn't get too hot, just barely warm.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have a bunch of old 10 gauge pure copper speaker wire, I bought 4 clamps and made my own 10' jumper cables by double up the 10 gauge speaker wire, so that the home made jumper is about 7 gauge.

I tried it once to jump start the LS400, it works okay and the wire didn't get too hot, just barely warm.

Welding cable is best, but it is not cheap either, nor are good clamps.

Thanks for those links.

I looked at this website and they seemed to be high priced. While you might need a custom battery cable, not sure I need a placed that is geared for custom cable work to make jumper cables.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Welding cable is best, but it is not cheap either, nor are good clamps.

I agree. To make a good 10-12' with 4-6 gauge welding cable and good clamps then the cost will be more than $30.

Since I have some 10 gauge copper wire laying around, I like to have some good use from it, I paid less than $4 for 4 cheapo clamps so that my cost was only $4.

It looks cheap but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back