Can i top off my oil with a different brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a oil change at mobil with 5w30 conventional the oil they use out of the drums is it ok to top off the oil with pennzoil 5w30 conventional?

Last edited:
I find this forum's search feature to be quite horrendous. Google searching works fairly well, though. But seriously...with as much action as there is on the forum and with as many active members...simple questions really aren't hard to answer. Someone will usually chime in who has a free minute. I just think it turns people off using this forum when people always just tell others to search for an answer. One man's opinion, only...

You can top off with a different brand of oil but if possible I think I would want to use the same brand and viscosity. In an emergency situation you might not have any choice. Better to use any brand of oil than run low. But otherwise if I was using Pennzoil 5@30 I would try to top off with Pennzoil 5W30.

well is it mobil oil they use when they take it out those drums? i just thought any convetional oil would be fine to top off with as long as its the same weight 5w30.

Last edited:
If it comes out of a drum it could be different brands, but I do believe Mobil supplies a lot of oil to new car dealerships.

I kind of hate when oil comes out of a drum and I don't know what brand the oil is or what viscosity.

Today it probably is not a problem, because most oil for gasoline engine vehicles in the USA is either 5W30 or 5W20. But I kept hearing stories in the past that 10W30 was cheaper and the oil in those drums would often be 10W30. I did not want to have 10W30 in my car especially in the wintertime because in the owner's manual it says to use 5W30 and 10W30 can only in used in very warm temperature.

And if I have to add oil I just think (except in an emergency situation) that it is a good idea to use the same brand AND VISCOSITY that is in the car. And of course whatever oil is sued have to make the vehicle maker's specs.

Last edited:
Ideally, same brand should be used for top off. But all oils are compatible with others, there is no negative in topping off with another brand.

yea i have no idea what oil came out that drum i know for sure it was 5w30 but brand i dunno but it was a mobil gas station with a mechanic shop is why i just wanted to know if its ok to top off as long as its 5w30 conventional.

My opinion is that you can top off with different brands and weights, but better keep it in the same type (i.e. Conventional, blends, full synthetics). But as always, check your manual first.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
My opinion is that you can top off with different brands and weights, but better keep it in the same type (i.e. Conventional, blends, full synthetics). But as always, check your manual first.

I respectfully disagree.

Many manufacturers make blends.

so should i go back to the shop i got my oil change and ask them what oil is in that drum? i know it was 5w30 conventional but not sure what brand.

Many users here use different weights even to mix up their own blends.I think there is even a chart on here somewhere.I myself use some Shell brand oil I got on a closeout as top off all the time with no ill effect.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crashtestdummy
Originally Posted By: gregoron

I respectfully disagree.

Many manufacturers make blends.

What I meant was different types of oil use different additives and amounts of VI's (if any). It won't destroy an engine to mix different types, but you're not getting what you think you're getting in terms of performance.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
so should i go back to the shop i got my oil change and ask them what oil is in that drum? i know it was 5w30 conventional but not sure what brand.

I wouldn't bother going back and finding out. Any possible downside isn't worth your effort in finding out and chasing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back