UOA 2012 VW Golf 2.0 TDI Mobil ESP 05w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
I allowed the car to go past a reasonable breaking in period and out of warranty before switching to the slightly heavier Mobil 1 ESP 5w40. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I prefer the 40 weight in diesels. I have owned 3 VW Rabbit Diesels ('78, '80, '81) and a 1980 240D. I know this car is light years different, but old habits are hard to break! Anyhow, I drive about 75% highway and use Power Service additive. Oil and fuel filter changes every 10k so far, but I think I will be shortening the interval after this oil report. I am not happy at all with the TBN. It looks like this oil was spent. I am thinking 7500 miles is a reasonable next step. Thoughts? TIA~
Blackstone
Miles on Car 69,730
Miles on oil 9,730
No make up oil added
Aluminum- 18
Chromium- 3
Iron- 86
Copper- 12
Moly- 76
Nickel- 2
Manganese- 2
Potassium- 22
Boron- 71
Silicon- 5
Sodium- 5
Calcium- 1296
Magnesium- 11
Phosphorus- 701
Zinc- 847
Barium- 0
Silver- 0
Titanium- 0
Lead- 0
Tin- 0
Viscosity @210F 66.7
Viscosity @ 100C 12.07
Flashpoint 410
Fuel%- Tr
Antifreeze%- ?
Water- 0
Insolubles- 0.4
TBN- 0.2
The car has never used coolant.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Greetings-
I allowed the car to go past a reasonable breaking in period and out of warranty before switching to the slightly heavier Mobil 1 ESP 5w40. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I prefer the 40 weight in diesels. I have owned 3 VW Rabbit Diesels ('78, '80, '81) and a 1980 240D. I know this car is light years different, but old habits are hard to break! Anyhow, I drive about 75% highway and use Power Service additive. Oil and fuel filter changes every 10k so far, but I think I will be shortening the interval after this oil report. I am not happy at all with the TBN. It looks like this oil was spent. I am thinking 7500 miles is a reasonable next step. Thoughts? TIA~
Blackstone
Miles on Car 69,730
Miles on oil 9,730
No make up oil added
Aluminum- 18
Chromium- 3
Iron- 86
Copper- 12
Moly- 76
Nickel- 2
Manganese- 2
Potassium- 22
Boron- 71
Silicon- 5
Sodium- 5
Calcium- 1296
Magnesium- 11
Phosphorus- 701
Zinc- 847
Barium- 0
Silver- 0
Titanium- 0
Lead- 0
Tin- 0
Viscosity @210F 66.7
Viscosity @ 100C 12.07
Flashpoint 410
Fuel%- Tr
Antifreeze%- ?
Water- 0
Insolubles- 0.4
TBN- 0.2
The car has never used coolant.

It's best to stick to an oil specifically recommended for the exact engine as VW TDI's are fussy about oil type:
This link is for the Catrol UK oil finder:
Castrol oil finder
This link is for the Liqui Moly oil finder:
LM oil finder
Those sites will give you a good idea of recommended oil types, although VW also publish a list of approved oils. Most of the recommended oils are 5/30's.
The OCI was too long as the TBN shows, so I would just try 5K miles next time. The Aluminium figure is not too good, which in combination with the Iron does indicate some cylinder wear issues. It would be good to see both a VOA of the oil and a set of universal averages to compare to, because the Potassium figure is rather odd although if the car did not use any coolant it's hard to know what the source is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
really 70,000 miles on a 2012 car?
Am I seeing that right?

Looks like it to me as well. The OP saying the car is out of warranty confirms it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, it is a 2010 Golf, sorry about that.
Now that we have established that I am a idiot,
blush.gif
I would like to thank you for your responses. I am active on the TDI forum, its a great group, just like this one. I am comfortable with the 5w40 weight ESP, VOAs show there isn't much difference in viscosity between the 5w30 and 5w40 weights of the ESP. The 5w30 has VW's approval, and both have Mercedes approval for DPF vehicles. That is good enough for me. I was hoping the results of the UOA would have been better, but I am hardly surprised that 10k is too long with the low SAPS oil. I will likely dump this oil with 7500 on the clock. I will go to 5k intervals if necessary. Cheers!

Have you done UOAs on the VW-blessed 5W-30? Most of the UOAs I've seen on the new TDIs have used it, and had better results than this.

My point is that it does no good to use the 5W-40 if the 5W-30 will in actuality give better results, even if the reason for it is unknown.

Actually I have been watching the UOA's on the 507 oils from Castrol and Mobil for a while. The results have been similar or worse with 10k OCI. The Mobil ESP 5w30 has a similar add package and specs out as a heavy (37 or 38) 30 weight oil. I thought it would be worthwhile to try the 5w40 version. It is becoming obvious that these oils will not make 10k OCI in reasonable shape. I think I will stay with the 5w40 with decreasing intervals until I get improved results. I will also be keeping an eye on another owner on this forum who is going to run the Amsoil Euro formula in his TDI. In all honesty, I believe the 507 spec was developed to protect the catalysts first and foremost. Engine wear was secondary. If I can find a balance of low saps and better engine protection in a non 507 oil, I am in!!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Try Shell Rotella T6 (its an Low-SAPS oil as well)

No it isn't!

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Try Shell Rotella T6 (its an Low-SAPS oil as well)

No it isn't!

It is (link), though that alone doesn't make it applicable for this engine.

Last edited:
Wasn't there just a discussion on this topic or something similar. The member scurvy had alot of insight on the vw diesel iirc. I'm not sure the name of the thread but he convinced me he knew what he was talking about.

With a sulphated ash content of 1000 PPM as listed in the PDS for the above mentioned 5W-40, this product won't carry applicability for any of the European light duty diesel applications calling for a low SAPS product (VW 507, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04).

Because the vehicle in question is a VW common rail CBEA powered automobile, this product is not suitable for use. It also wouldn't be suitable for use in a DPF equipped BMW or Mercedes-Benz automobile.

I would opine that the comparison is flawed because it is based on only one run with the M1. If you do a second run and the wear numbers drop what does that tell you? In addition do we know what the allowable wear numbers are for this engine? IJS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back