your most satisfying tire purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying best tire for winter or for summer, just in general which tire made you really happy? just like with women and their shoes, im very picky about my tires for my car. I recently bought continental extremecontact dws for my Subaru and they are truly amazing all seasons. -20'c weather here yesterday and they didn't slip once and they are smooth and quiet on the highway with good handling characteristics.

Last edited:
Absolutely my best experience is with the last set of Michelin LTX MS2's I bought for my 05 Silverado in 265/70/17 size.

They now have over 50,000 miles of abusive wifey driving and over 1/2 of their tread left!!!!

They are incredible in the rain, virtually unshakable.

A set of cooper weathermaster studded snows back in 1997. Before that my dad sent me out in his car with bald rear tires and it swapped ends on a bridge on the Mass Pike during a winter storm. Worse, it was a ford, and crippled itself with its inertia switch in the high speed lane when it whacked a jersey barrier. Incredibly, overnight, the rear bumper unfolded itself and popped back into position like nothing ever happened.

I worked all summer and coincentally inherited my first car. Paid for those tires with my own money and they worked like I expected.
01.gif

Goodyear Silent Armors for me.

With 60K and rolling, they still have almost half the tread left. They do great in the snow. But, my favorite feature is that they extend slightly past the lip of the rim, so I don't have to worry about damage when street parking.

Well it was not a tire purchase, but the tires that came on the 2001 Ford Ranger I bought Dec 2011 are Continentals, which I understand to be top line brand, right up there with Michelin. I was pleased as they had very good tread, like they were almost new.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Absolutely my best experience is with the last set of Michelin LTX MS2's I bought for my 05 Silverado in 265/70/17 size.

They now have over 50,000 miles of abusive wifey driving and over 1/2 of their tread left!!!!

They are incredible in the rain, virtually unshakable.

ya steve michelins are famous for treadwear among other things. i have the primacy mxv4 on my girls tl and it did 60k miles and had tread left still. but the problem was the rubber it self was cracking from age so i had to let it go.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
A set of cooper weathermaster studded snows back in 1997. Before that my dad sent me out in his car with bald rear tires and it swapped ends on a bridge on the Mass Pike during a winter storm. Worse, it was a ford, and crippled itself with its inertia switch in the high speed lane when it whacked a jersey barrier. Incredibly, overnight, the rear bumper unfolded itself and popped back into position like nothing ever happened.

I worked all summer and coincentally inherited my first car. Paid for those tires with my own money and they worked like I expected.
01.gif

can't believe your bumper popped back out lol. I wish studded tires were legal here...always wanted to see how crazy the grip is.

Originally Posted By: pickler
I'm not saying best tire for winter or for summer, just in general which tire made you really happy? just like with women and their shoes, im very picky about my tires for my car. I recently bought continental extremecontact dws for my Subaru and they are truly amazing all seasons. -20'c weather here yesterday and they didn't slip once!

Too soon to say for sure, but so far I am extremely satisfied and pleased with the Hankook Optimo H727s I got not quite three months ago.

First, the price was right. With two rebates---one DTD-eBay and one Hankook---plus a coupon and sweet talk at the local Firestone, I got them installed for about $210, including lifetime balance and rotation.

Second, that price was so good it made me take a plunge I had considered for years but never done before: Order online and install locally. In the past, the price had been at best a wash with online ordering, plus I wanted the service relationship with the local shop. This time, the price was so good it would have beaten all quotes from B+M shops even with only one of the two rebates! (I sense that prices at retail tire shops have risen faster than prices online the past year or two. More folks will be trying the online option if this continues, I think.)

Third, the tires (so far) are great! I am not gonna wax poetic about them after 2K miles but the first good sign is that I noticed a quieter smoother ride as soon as I drove off from the shop. Also, the gas mileage did not take a hit, as often happens with new tires. Plus, they handled great in the few small-to-medium snow storms we have had---and steering is also crisper than it was with the old tires. Best of all worlds, so far.

The one downside: They are not made in the USA. Find me a USA-made tire of similar quality that's the same price or a few bucks more and I am there....

Will update down the road, but for now all is groovy.

I have the same tires and like them.

It was a pain to get them and somewhat of a pain to replace one ruined by a nail.

The good side of this is Continental provides free road hazard for the first 2/32nds treadwear, so they paid for the tire. All I had to pay for was the mounting and balancing.

However, because my Protege5 has an uncommon tire size, 195/50R16, it takes a while to get tires or replacements.

I have worked around that by purchasing a steel wheel and have mounted another brand tire on it and keep it in the garage should I need to wait for additional replacements.

Love the tires, love the Continental warranty, I don't like the time required to get the tire.

From an it's so easy a Caveman can do it perspective, nothing beats getting a set of BFG Touring T/A Pro tires at Sam's Club. Go in early as an Advantage member, drop off the car before the crowds arrive, do some needed shopping in the store and pick up the car in about an hour.

They include Road Hazard in the price to install them on the car. It's a painless process, and unless you have an odd size, you can find replacements should you need one.
Originally Posted By: pickler
I'm not saying best tire for winter or for summer, just in general which tire made you really happy? just like with women and their shoes, im very picky about my tires for my car. I recently bought continental extremecontact dws for my Subaru and they are truly amazing all seasons. -20'c weather here yesterday and they didn't slip once and they are smooth and quiet on the highway with good handling characteristics.

Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Camaro. They made driving in winter conditions a pleasure instead of an exercise in holding my breath. Drove on them for 6 winters and they still had great traction.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Too soon to say for sure, but so far I am extremely satisfied and pleased with the Hankook Optimo H727s I got not quite three months ago.

First, the price was right. With two rebates---one DTD-eBay and one Hankook---plus a coupon and sweet talk at the local Firestone, I got them installed for about $210, including lifetime balance and rotation.

Me too. I got Hankook Optimo H727 with 2 rebates so the final cost was around $220-230.

When I had my 2001 Neon R/T I put a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE730's on it to the tune of almost $1K.
The car took onramps at unreal speed. Never a sign of a squeal or loss of grip, that car was a handling monster with those tires on it. I absolutely LOVED them. They did get loud as they got old but the grip was just insanity.

My other most satisfying set has been General Altimax Arctic. I absolutely love those snow tires and would recommend to anyone. I have owned a bunch, they are my definite fav.

Sumitomo HTR 200. I know, it is not the best tire ever but it was very good handling and fuel economy under higher pressure, at a very low cost too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back