Are Ridgid Power tools any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder as I have a lifetime warrently on a small 12v LI-ion drill/driver and had a battery failure. Appears they are replacing the battery after 7 years. However, the warrenty shop indicated the batteries fall quite often. Just wondering as it may affect my next tool purchase.

7 years on a Liion battery that gets deeply discharged and run at high rates is not a bad life.

My FIL has one and has been happy with it.

You have to dissociate issues with battery chemistry, which are natural chemical aging mixed with user abuse, versus the quality of the tool.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
7 years on a Liion battery that gets deeply discharged and run at high rates is not a bad life.

You have to dissociate issues with battery chemistry, which are natural chemical aging mixed with user abuse, versus the quality of the tool.

Ask Boeing about Li-ion batteries and there 787 planes. They are tricky battery chemistry and you can get away with things in a cell plone battery that you cannot with a much larger one.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Ridgid is a top brand. Definitely good. 7 years out of a battery is great, if not exceptional, depending on use.

Thanks everyone. IMO, this drill/driver get only light use every few months. Rest of the time no use at all with charged or partially charged batteries. Actually the repair tech said both batteries are bad. I forgot to mention this fact.
smile.gif

Not so much complaining over the battery life, more concerned about the tech complaining how many batteries he has to replace every moth on Ridgid equipment.

Last edited:
Ridgid has the best warranty of any drill on the market and they stand behind it. No question it is the best deal in power tools today. The quality is tops too.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Just wonder as I have a lifetime warrently on a small 12v LI-ion drill/driver and had a battery failure. Appears they are replacing the battery after 7 years. However, the warrenty shop indicated the batteries fall quite often. Just wondering as it may affect my next tool purchase.

How was the warranty process? I've heard a decent number of complaints about trying the warranty the batteries.

A couple people have claimed Home Depot will now handle the warranty, but that's not what the warranty terms say.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ask Boeing about Li-ion batteries and there 787 planes. They are tricky battery chemistry and you can get away with things in a cell plone battery that you cannot with a much larger one.

No kidding, Ive been spending the last many years working on this very problem for some very high performance systems.

Power tools typically use 18650 and 26650 cells which are ubiquitous and have failures as low as 10^7-10^8 when made by good manufacturers.

Aging of power tool batteries, again, as a chemical pheonomena, is more or less independent of manufacture, some additives and cooling approaches aside.

Large format (787, etc) is another story, and the manufacturing comes to play in it to a great extent, as do controls.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Russell

How was the warranty process? I've heard a decent number of complaints about trying the warranty the batteries.

A couple people have claimed Home Depot will now handle the warranty, but that's not what the warranty terms say.

First, I have not got the batteries yet as they had to be ordered. I started with my closest home depot. They sent me another home depot with a tool loan center where they test Ridgid tools. They said they could order the batteries, but Ridgid jerks them around and told me another warrenty/repair shop should be able to fix me right up. Gave me the shop's name and I went there. I think I have four trips so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back