What does gas line anti freeze do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does methal hydrate do??

My fathers vehicle was acting up so we tried a fuel filter and it randomly did it after so I told him to put in some gas line anti freeze.
Does it emulsify the water and gas so it is a solution? Does it nothing more then lower the freezing point. Or does it simply displace the water some where else
Thank you

Methyl hydrate is a stupid term meant to make the use of methyl alcohol or methanol sound exotic. I would never buy anything from any company that are such jerks as to use such a term. It is like ''synthetic brake fluid''.

Water and gasoline form two separate phases or layers. Add what ever you want to call CH2OH, and it will divide itself between the 2 phases. The more you get into the water phase, the lower its freezing point. As long as it is still frozen, a very small amount can block a fuel line. If it is a liquid, it will be pumped through the fuel line, possibly stalling the engine when a slug of water hits the combustion chambers. You can still restart the engine when some gasoline comes through. Add enough, and you will have one phase, which the engine will run on fairly well. Once you get water in a gas tank, it seems to take forever to get it all out.

Beware using the cheaper gas line anti-freeze. It can plug your fuel filter. The isopropol stuff is a little more expensive but works a little better IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
All gas around here has alcohol in it, and additional tiny amounts are a total waste.

Good point. With 10% ethanol, you should never need to add any more. On the other hand, how much more water can the gas stations get away with pumping along with the gas?

When gasoline has alcohol in it from the refinery, wouldn't it stand to reason that it is absorbing even more water from the moment it is made, transported, and ending up in your tank, therefore you still need to add isopropyl alcohol to it anyways?

quote:

Originally posted by c502cid:
When gasoline has alcohol in it from the refinery, wouldn't it stand to reason that it is absorbing even more water from the moment it is made, transported, and ending up in your tank, therefore you still need to add isopropyl alcohol to it anyways?

At every step from the time the gasoline base is produced at the refinery, I am sure it has a smaller surface to mass ratio and a more sophisticated system to separate the gasoline and the atmosphere than in your gass tank. I see no reason to add more alcohol yet once it reaches its most vulnerable point. If there is a problem, I would choose methyl alcohol with about half the molecular weight and a vaporization rate closer to gasoline than isopropyl alcohol.

I heard that the isopropyl is the only type that will get rid of the water and that the cheaper methyl alcohol will only prevent freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back