2007 Jaguar S Type 3.0 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a Jag for my wife any one have experience with this motor? owners man calls for castrol 5-30 conventional.

This is a link to the Castrol oil finder guide:

Castrol oil finder

I can't match the year to the engine, but it does list the following oils:
Edge 0/30 and Magnetec 5/30.
Magnetec 5/30 is not available in all countries but part synthetic GTX 5/30 is just as good.
The OCI is listed as 6K miles for normal service. If the oil consumption is high or there are any leaks I would stick to a conventional oil rather than fully synthetic Edge.

3.0 is the V6.
Castrol GTX is available as is the semi syn blend. Owners manual states that 5K should be the change interval with the conventional oil but does not state the use of synthetic.
I was just wondering if anyone had used any thing else with good results.

Thank you for the link great info!

Last edited:
Maybe this post would be better suited for the euro section. Its kind of an exotic car.

Just go all out and run GC
lol.gif
jk

Originally Posted By: devo357
Just picked up a Jag for my wife any one have experience with this motor? owners man calls for castrol 5-30 conventional.

I think that Jaguar S Series V6's of that vintage (when Ford owned Jaguar and owned 34 percent of Mazda) were the same Ford Duratec 3.0 egine that graces our 2004 Mazda6. For most of the time that we have owned it, we have used Shaeffer Supreme 7000 semi-synthetic 5W-20 in our Mazda6, with 7,500 mile OCI, and the Shaeffer has proven darn near perfectly suited to that engine: free revving, good fuel economy, and zero oil consumption. We did run a couple of fills with GC 0W-30, and the engine ran more turbine-like, exceptionally smoothly as if hitched to a giant flywheel, not as free-revving, a smidgen worse fuel economy, compared to way it runs with the Shaeffer 5W-20.

(If you are unfamiliar with Shaeffer, it is no johnny-come-lately boutique marque: the oldest petroleum refiner in the United States, and the oldest corporation of any kind in the State of Missouri, Schaeffer had been in business for a generation before Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated president; for its entire history, it has been cutting edge in research and development, and is well regarded in racing circles.)

We are facing a crisis at the next oil change, as the only local retailer of Schaeffer has sold his location, and the shop affiliated with the gas station where we used to buy Schaeffer oil now just takes the cash for the gas pumps outside and sells sugary giant drinks in tall paper cups. We are seriously contemplating going to the Idemitsu-made Genuine Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly for our next oil change.

Yes the bottom end is Ford Duratec the heads are made by Jaguar as is the engine management. Sorry that oil is not avail locally and seems hard to get.
I guess I will just go with the Mfg recommendation for Castrol GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back