AC Deco PF-46 cross references

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the PF-46 and other oil filter manufactuers recommended size filters for my application. I have a 99 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3l and when you look up a filter at an autoparts store online or at the store it always has the PF-46 listed, but the other brand of oil filters have a longer filter recommened. If you cross reference a PF-46 to say a Fram for example it will give you the 3506, but the application guide will say a 3675 or the Bosch is a 3423. Why do they recommend the bigger filter instead of the PF-46 size equivalent same size filter?

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 2WD with the 5.3 liter too. Originally it took the PF59 but they discontinued it for whatever reason. It's now supposed to use the PF46 but I prefer to use the larger PF61 instead because it hangs vertically and seems to work well. My daughter's 2.4 liter Grand Am 4 cylinder uses the PF46. I buy the non e-core AC's at Autozone instead of Walmart. Seems like too small of a filter for a V8?

I recently noticed that too when changing the oil on a GM Express van 4.8L
Calls for the short filter according to FRAM. Put on a Defense DL3506. Next time will use the filter in my signature.

Yeah, right now I have the Fram Ultra Guard 3506 on my truck, but got a Bosch 3423 waiting to be put on on the next oil change. I'm using Q.S. Defy 5w-30 with the ultra guard currently and noticed my oil pressures are a little higher then when I ran the PF-46 and/or longer filters with Q.S. UD 5w-30. Going to switch back to QSUD.

Don't know what I drained out. Put in some vintage QS Q-Horsepower 5w-30 from my stash. Not sure what will be on deck by the end of this OCI. Uses about 1L between OCI according to the driver.

Actually, it was some QS Advanced Engine Fully Synthetic SM...just saw the empty bottles. I love those clear bottles.

Here are some other oversized filters that will work:

Wix 51045(4.8" long)

Purolator
L20123
L25288(carried at Walmart)

Delco
PF59

Baldwin B30

Last edited:
That is my question, why do other oil filter manufacturers recommend the longer filter instead of one the same size as the PF-46?

GM recommends the shorter filter for my engine, but I ALWAYS use the longer, truck 4.8/5.3 specced, filters for my changes in either; Amsoil, NAPA platinum, M1, or Bosch D+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back