Pressure pots, HVLP, spray guns and blow guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Im looking for a bit of education on pressure pots and spray guns.

I had asked for leads on pneumatic sprayers here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2874738#Post2874738

But really think Im asking for the wrong thing.

I think what Im looking for is a paint pressure pot, but one that feeds via one line the air and material.

On the system I was looking for, the item really looks more or less like this:
l65-rustpoof-kit-web.jpg

Which is from Lemmer.

However, it appears that HVLP guns for airless spray systems, which use only one line, require 3000psi.

Id like to use a pressure pot, but like the agility of the single wand.

What I do not want is a gravity feed or suction based gun. I want agility of the gun and wand, which you dont get when attached to it is a huge basin of material.

Husky from HD has something close... They have a suction version:
0a6f8c71-854a-4325-9cbb-8e1fe94c28be_300.jpg

But what I really like is the non-suction blow gun, which is along the lines of what Im looking for:

ab10ceef-c1a3-4495-b0c7-85124fbae4f8_300.jpg

Notionally I can play the NPT and fitting game to get the outlet to what I want so that I can use variable wands on that end.

But of course then the challenge becomes feeding the gun via the tank and hose.

Many pressure pots seem to show two hoses, one for air, one for material. The kind I want clearly does not:

handi-spray-2-gallon.jpg

handi-spray-belt-pak.jpg

Though most I see do:

418kojY4fzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This Astro unit, which takes two hoses, seems like a good deal, but again has that HVLP type gun which has a huge nozzle on the front, I believe for doing the mixing and atomization... While I want to be able to attach an additional wand or different nozzle to it...

So can anyone with experience spraying stuff share some of their knowledge and experience in this area?

Buying from corrosion technologies would be my preference, but $849 for what looks to me like a propane tank and spray gun is a bit much. If I can reuse one of my propane tanks and buy a gun and whatnot myself, it seems like a much better deal...

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hi,

Im looking for a bit of education on pressure pots and spray guns.

I had asked for leads on pneumatic sprayers here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2874738#Post2874738

But really think Im asking for the wrong thing.

I think what Im looking for is a paint pressure pot, but one that feeds via one line the air and material.

On the system I was looking for, the item really looks more or less like this:
l65-rustpoof-kit-web.jpg

Which is from Lemmer.

However, it appears that HVLP guns for airless spray systems, which use only one line, require 3000psi.

Id like to use a pressure pot, but like the agility of the single wand.

What I do not want is a gravity feed or suction based gun. I want agility of the gun and wand, which you dont get when attached to it is a huge basin of material.

Husky from HD has something close... They have a suction version:
0a6f8c71-854a-4325-9cbb-8e1fe94c28be_300.jpg

But what I really like is the non-suction blow gun, which is along the lines of what Im looking for:

ab10ceef-c1a3-4495-b0c7-85124fbae4f8_300.jpg

Notionally I can play the NPT and fitting game to get the outlet to what I want so that I can use variable wands on that end.

But of course then the challenge becomes feeding the gun via the tank and hose.

Many pressure pots seem to show two hoses, one for air, one for material. The kind I want clearly does not:

handi-spray-2-gallon.jpg

handi-spray-belt-pak.jpg

Though most I see do:

418kojY4fzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This Astro unit, which takes two hoses, seems like a good deal, but again has that HVLP type gun which has a huge nozzle on the front, I believe for doing the mixing and atomization... While I want to be able to attach an additional wand or different nozzle to it...

So can anyone with experience spraying stuff share some of their knowledge and experience in this area?

Buying from corrosion technologies would be my preference, but $849 for what looks to me like a propane tank and spray gun is a bit much. If I can reuse one of my propane tanks and buy a gun and whatnot myself, it seems like a much better deal...

Thanks!

The bottom pot would work need to find the right gun check out Pro-Tek spray equipment your on the right track.

Pressure pots are nice, because you can manipulate your gun and hoses better, without the weight of the gravity fed cup on top of your gun, in addition, you start spraying a car near the bottom section, you need to have a good angle at times without restricting the flow of paint, which happens on gravity fed guns when you tilt them to the side, you start sucking air and you cause spits. Graco, Binks or Delvibiss are the best in the business. To the original poster, you will always have two hoses on a pressure pot, one to feed the air to gun, one supply the paint. The above mention suppliers of guns and equipment are my choices because they have superior air caps and they atomize well with a great spray pattern.

But remember the Carwell product is a lot thicker than paint. And the Carwell shop uses two different grades, one for in cavities and one for under the vehicle.

I suppose I wouldn't mind an airless sprayer if it will do a better job.

I like the pot, really the corrosion x tank shown above because it is clean and simple to use.

What I'd like is a gun with only one hose, not two, which is what most pots seem to have.

If I went airless, could I use a small and light blow gun like the HD one, but with a wand of my choice for a spray I like? Can I use a quick-connect at the blow gun and atomize from the wand with an airless?

Fluid film says to use airless, so it should be fine for any oil based product... Plus an airless can be had for $150-200 on amazon, and less used. Plus no need to lug a compressor I suppose...

Airless is 3000 psi, you must use an airless gun for that pressure.

You could use a pot and blow gun. The second air hose isn't needed for what you want to do.

Have you looked at a bodyschutz gun? They are used for rubber undercoating.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Airless is 3000 psi, you must use an airless gun for that pressure.

You could use a pot and blow gun. The second air hose isn't needed for what you want to do.

Have you looked at a bodyschutz gun? They are used for rubber undercoating.

I've looked at them (Schutz), but they aren't what I want as they have a tank hanging off the bottom (suction type feed).

I'm doing this in my driveway with my car on ramps, I want to make it easy, which means smallest gun with a long hose and interchangeable wands.

I'd buy the corrosionx 2.5 gal unit like I showed, but $850 seems a bit extreme.

Why don't I need the second hose??? I kind of thought one was for air and the other product...

One hose is what I'd like.

Why don't I need the second hose??? I kind of thought one was for air and the other product...

Because you would be forcing the product from the tank to the gun, and delivering it as a liquid, instead of needing the air from the tank so you can deliver it as a mist, and with a pattern.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

Because you would be forcing the product from the tank to the gun, and delivering it as a liquid, instead of needing the air from the tank so you can deliver it as a mist, and with a pattern.

Why do you want it as a mist?

Well I dont want it as a liquid...

But the wands that I would use perform the atomization. Just need to have nough airflow with some of the liquid to do the job. That's easy enough.

I assume then that the secondary input is to atomize in a different way.

Keep in mind that a pressure pot setup is changing the way a traditional spray gun works. In the absence of a pressure feed, they siphon from the cannister, so the air to the gun is needed to created the siphon and to do the atomization and create the fan pattern. When you add the pressure feature, you still need the fan pattern, at a minimum (in traditional painting applications) regardless of how the atomization works.

When the pressure pot delivers material to a gun, without air it is anyone's guess as to whether it would atomize with the nozzle system of the chosen gun type, especially since you would be working at a lower pressure than you would with an HVLP.

Im only guessing that it works well enough based upon the corrosionx product that they sell seeming to do it well.

I have a really small one-hose version from carwell that just has a crimped metal end that the openings are small enough to create a mist.

So it seems doable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back