Honda MTF alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried many different combinations of MTF with my 2004 Honda Accord. I found one quart of Redline MTL with One Quart MTL-90 and a top off of the MTL was the best combination for smooth shifting in hot and cold weather. I just noticed Redline has an MTL-85 on website...I would be inclined to use that in your Honda application. I found my Honda at least liked a little bit of a heavier fluid...

I've just got to ask: is there something wrong with the Honda MTF. Everyone seems to be in search of something else so I'm just wondering.
Thanks Smoky

^I suppose it's been about finding a MTF that is still "correct" as regards it's viscosity but one that keeps the shifting smooth for a longer period of time. The knock on the Honda Genuine seems to be the friction modifiers wear out more quickly than perhaps others? We're talking within 5,000-7,500 miles. Not even half of the interval recommended in most manuals. Typically it's once every 15,000 or 30,000.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. The use of motor oil, with different FM's, is only a temporary patch. I'd expect the Honda Genuine product to have FM's that can last the length, or close to it, of the service interval that the manual specs.

I heard, for instance, otherwise, that Amsoil's MTF has a little bit better cold weather performance(more like a 5w-30 oil) than the Honda Genuine. Which, was closer to a 10w-30/40, but now apparently is thinner(the Honda Genuine II MTF)?

just an update,

Im using the CASTROl and no problem at all...just at cold start the 1gear is little hard....not a big problem....then all is ok

Thanks again for all your post !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back