Harbor Freight FWD Wheel Bearing Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to give an update on the tool. It worked great without any issues. The center screw held up great (made a back-up one just in case). I used my slide hammer to pull the hub and let the HF tool do the rest of the work.

I made sure to lube everything generously with grease and put the bearings in the freezer an hour before installation to help press them in.

Bought one today also with the 20% off coupon. came to $87 total. I am gonna use it on my Subaru this weekend and see how well it works. one job basicly will pay for it.

Originally Posted By: vaboom123
Just wanted to give an update on the tool. It worked great without any issues.

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
one job basicly will pay for it.

It, the rest of the tools you need, the replacement bearing kit, a steak dinner and a case of good beer.

Priced out a wheel bearing replacement recently? I saw someone on TDIClub was quoted $400 to do it, not including alignment (which was necessary, since they would have pulled the steering knuckle).

I picked mine up with the 20% coupon also. Seems like a good investment to me. I'll be doing the rear bearings soon.

Just make sure you have a good impact and compressor that can keep up!

so i did it today. i was lucky that i was able to find a hub hark for cheap as it did not have the adapters. Worked fine for removing the hub.

the HF worked quite well. now my subaru is different in that the bearing comes out the back instead of the front. Taking the bearing out with an impact took a lot longer than i thought it would. it was in there pretty tight. putting in the new one was easy. i put grease in the bore and it slid in with light resistance.

one of my main concerns was that the bolt would break. when i bought mine, i looked through a couple of kits before i found one with a one piece bolt. the bolt did not break, so it seems to be good.

took me about 3 1/2 hours to do it. lots of time wasted was trying to figure out which adapter would work correctly. i am sure the next one i do will go a lot quicker.

it paid for itself today so its a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back