Just bought my first gun. How did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going to a few guns shops with a shooter friend and reading up online about PA laws and proper maintenance and handling of firearms (I was a kid in boy scouts the last time I really fired something and now I'm 29.) I decided to buy one. I bought a Browning Buck Mark "Hunter" 22 to get back into it. What sold me on this model is the bull barrel and adjustable sight. It's balanced well and has some weight to it. Though the action is right-handed and I am left-handed, I will be using it for target shooting and re-learning firearms. The adjustable sighting will be handy since I am left-handed but right eye dominant. I was looking at Rugers, but I could not find a bull barrel and the sights are not adjustable. Does anyone have experience with the Browning Buck Mark series? I was told to use 22 high velocity rounds in it to prevent jamming.

Browning Buck Mark Hunter 22 hand gun

Last edited:
You did fine.
cool.gif

The Buck Mark is a very good gun.

I just hope that there isn't anything about the grip that is for right-handed users (thumb rest etc.).

If that is the case see if you can buy some "lefty" grips that fit it.

I always liked the look of Browning firearms in general. I hope it is really accurate and you have fun shooting it!!

Also, if you have a dominant eye, you may be one of the lucky few that can shoot with both eyes open and still aim perfectly with the sights (no conflicting sight picture).

This is a great advantage. You get a field of view that is twice as large to be able to see what is next.

Having purchased my first back in November, I think you'll be very happy with your Browning 22. I was considering the Buck Mark Stainless Camper or a Ruger Mark III Target. When I found the Ruger in Stainless Steel, I loved it and that's what I got. I've been going to the range just about every other week. Enjoy and be safe!

Thanks guys! The grip is ok, seems to fit my hand well. Now all I need to do is find some ammo for this sucker! Cabela's was sold out!

Good choice!

Use normal bulk high velocity (not hyper like Stingers or yellow jackets) and enjoy!

I love my old Buckmark.
01.gif

I love my Buckmark! One of my favorites. I had an issue with corrosion after a rainy rabbit hunt (I put in the case wet and then forgot about it) so instead of a reblue I did a mirage Flage duracoat finish.
BrowningBuckmark.jpg

Last edited:
Great gun that is fun to shoot and has a cult following (like the Ruger)

check out www.rimfirecentral.com Many of the folks over there are very knowledgable and will be more than happy to help you out with suggestions for grips, ammo suggestions, etc

Regarding ammo...for the first 300-500 rounds, some guys suggest shooting ammo like the CCI Velocitor for its break in and then after that shooting any ammo you want. Mine hasn't had any issues feeding anything although some of the ammo has accuracy issues. However, the gun itself is more accurate than I am.

Regarding finding ammo...good luck. With the way things have been the last few months, there has been a mad rush on ammo. Most retailers are putting limits on what you can purchase if you can find it, and online retailers are backordered in the 4-6 week range and even then you've got shipping costs. I'd keep trying back at Cabelas and at places like Academy, ****'s Sporting goods, or walmart.

Enjoy your purchase. Its hard to beat for a fun shooting, reliable, and accurate gun.

I've got the Ruger version.

I use CCI Velocitors in it, with fantastic results. I have a tiny "red dot" sight on top, (a truglo "true point" )

I am able to hit targets accurately at 100 yards with relative ease. Amazing for a little pistol.

60658.jpg

Nothing wrong with having a 22 in the collection but you will quickly want more. Go ahead and apply for a carry permit now so you'll have it when you pick up that hi-cap 9mm.

For a first handgun, you couldn't have done better. The buckmark, is first rate and an excellent firearm to learn and practice with. I can't count how many people I've instructed with my mark II 22/45 target (similar to the Buckmark). Youre only problem now is that you will invariably want to buy more; .22's are rather infectious.

I'd love to get my hands on a Ruger MKIII bull barrel. My buddy has one and it feels natural when I pick it up. Just checked out a friend's Ruger P95 9MM handgun this evening and that seems to be a really nice gun as well.

I have this version of it, and like it. The URX grip fits like a glove.

If you disassemble to clean, beware of the little hex head screw on the top. On mine it has a tendency to come loose after 100-300 rounds. When its loose, the firing pin won't hit the rim correctly, and it starts misfiring occasionally. I put a drop of low strength thread lock on it, and it seems to be fine now.

But usually for cleaning I just put a boresnake through the barrel, and wipe the parts that are accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back