Purolater Air Filters...Not What They Used To Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a couple issues with their air filters here lately. Last year I had bought one of their drop in replacements for my 2011 Scion Xb that I used to have and I did not care for the way it sealed in my air box. The outer part of the filter was a hard plastic and it had a rubber seal that fit around the outer edge of it. The rubber was sort of hard and not very pliable. I returned it and went with a factory toyota filter then.
My second issue was this weekend. We got a 05 Explorer for my wife this week and I decided to check the air filter today. It had a Purolator in it, the typical paper pleated filter with a foam/rubber type seal with the filter media molded into it. The seal was "warped" a bit along the one side, sort of squeezed out and allowing dirt to get past it. The underside of it was also cracked in the one corner, like it had dryed out, but judging by the little bit of dirt that was on the underside of the filter, it had not been in very long. Anyone else have poor experiences with Purolator air filters?

Can't speak to whether or not they are what they used be. That said, based on observation of construction of Purolator and Fram AF's I prefer Fram Extra Guard to the Puro. Also after veiwing Fram Air Filter testing at the Fram Test labs, it reinforced my preference. Fram even uses the actual manufacturers air boxes to test their AF's.

Fram also still uses a the more expensive nitrile sealing gaskets on it's rigid frame AF's, while others, perhaps Puro, now use a cheaper composite material that doesn't seal and hold it's seal as well. When I've looked at the Puro AF's, I didn't care for their sealing gaskets in general. Just me.

Also, unlike the Purolator canister oil filters which are made in the US and I like, the AF's seem to be made in many foreign countries. Not a deal breaker for me but combined with the AF's construction, they are not my prefernce.

Purolators don't work in my application. A rib in the gasket that is essential to seal the air filter housing is missing entirely. I have looked at multiple Purolator Classics and PureOnes and both had the inferior gasket...have been looking since about 2005 or so, gave up on ever buying a decent Purolator a couple years ago, but I imagine they are still the same.

Fram is cheaper and seals better. I won't use their oil filters, but their air filters are a great value, at least for my part #.

afoulk: Good demonstration and lesson on the right way to install an air filter! You can have the best media in the world but if it doesn't seal in the airbox, it's not really an air filter. It's always worth the effort to check fit and sealing. As well as noting which filters/applications do not fit and reporting it here on BITOG.

Good point by Jim. Also as instructed at the Fram Labs, the less one opens the air box over the course of an FCI the better for sealing, and maintaining that seal. And, though Fram recommends 12k FCI's on it AF boxes, the same authoritative information suggests longer is better with AF's for efficiency purposes. ~30k seems is a nice average.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
afoulk: Good demonstration and lesson on the right way to install an air filter! You can have the best media in the world but if it doesn't seal in the airbox, it's not really an air filter. It's always worth the effort to check fit and sealing. As well as noting which filters/applications do not fit and reporting it here on BITOG.

I learned my lesson in those regaurds on my 2011 Scion Xb. The top of the air filter box is hard to get back on without the filter moving, so I was always paranoid about checking it. First there was the Purolator that I was not happy with the way it sealed, and then there was the AFE Pro Dry S that I got for it. Take a look at my second post from the top of the page on this link to see how well that one worked http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...289#Post2550289
And to top it off, the Fram filter for my Scion is made exactly the same as the Purolators now. I've wound up having to run the factory toyota filters and they seem to be doing ok so far, but I'm tempted to go with a AFE short ram air intake ( don't like having the filter way down behind the bumper with a cold air intake) or Volant with a donaldson filter to avoid dealing with the stock air box on this car. The Fram I put in my wifes explorer fit ok, it could fit a little tighter in the box, but its better than the purolator so far.

I ususally use NAPA as well. This last time all they had was a pro select but its made in the USA so it works for me. Also picked up a made in USA purolator classic from kmart clearance.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Can't speak to whether or not they are what they used be. That said, based on observation of construction of Purolator and Fram AF's I prefer Fram Extra Guard to the Puro. Also after veiwing Fram Air Filter testing at the Fram Test labs, it reinforced my preference. Fram even uses the actual manufacturers air boxes to test their AF's.

Fram also still uses a the more expensive nitrile sealing gaskets on it's rigid frame AF's, while others, perhaps Puro, now use a cheaper composite material that doesn't seal and hold it's seal as well. When I've looked at the Puro AF's, I didn't care for their sealing gaskets in general. Just me.

Also, unlike the Purolator canister oil filters which are made in the US and I like, the AF's seem to be made in many foreign countries. Not a deal breaker for me but combined with the AF's construction, they are not my prefernce.

I'm with you. Good sealing is of paramount importance. I wonder how prevalent a lot of test fitting is in the industry. I imagine some mfrs. just build filters to a certain established set of dimensions and never (or seldom) test fit.

K&N claims to have test housings for every drop-in filter application they make. Been there personally some years back and they had a large room full of them, so I tend to believe their claim. It's vital for them because the sealing on those filters needs to be VERY robust because that filter is reusable. It has to be durable enough to be in service basically a "lifetime" and will be subjected to repeated removals for cleaning. Sealing must be robust and durable.

Regardless of media, the sealing issue is probably the number one consideration. The greatest filter media in the world is of little use if the assembly doesn't seal tight in the housing.

So... I guess the question is because of sealing, then why not just buy an OE air filter?

An air filter (in most applications) will last for multiple years, should be manufactured and designed to the exact specifications, and should fit like a glove.

So why play this 'trial and error' game with the aftermarket?

I've looked at Fram air filters for my Silverado, and they're a sad joke. I'd rather use the dirty filter that it rolled off of the assembly line with, because the Fram looks like it was designed by a 8 year old. Wavy media, gaps in between the pleats, and glue strips to try and hold everything in place.

This is nothing what the factory filter looked like. The factory filter had at least 50% more pleats... and no glue strips in a feeble attempt to hold it all in place.

If this is what the aftermarket tries to pass off as a replacement part? No thanks.

DSCF1266.jpg

That is a fairly nasty looking filter. Which Fram line is it? Tha AC Delco fitlers from the Silverado are reputed to be a good fit.

The strange thing about all filter lines in general is that you will find certain part numbers that seem to be poor and others that are good. Also, there are the price point lines and the premium lines and you can usually tell the difference in the way they are made. OE is also no guarantor of great quality or fit either. The answer is simply to look, evaluate and find the best ones. For people that don't have the knowledge base to do that, I suppose going OE is a possible way to even the odds in one's favor.

That is a fairly nasty looking filter. Which Fram line is it? Tha AC Delco fitlers from the Silverado are reputed to be a good fit.

Agreed. That looks nothing like the Fram air filters I've used. The ones in my G are the entry level ones, and they look far superior to that.

Oddly enough, years ago with the old F-150, there was a difference between the Fram entry level and the Canadian Tire branded Fram. The genuine Fram had much more media than did the Canadian Tire version.

The PureONE I got Dad for his Taurus was [censored]. It didn't fit at all. He took it back and got a Driveworks that fit perfectly for nearly half the price. The media may be better in the PureONE but if the gasket doesn't seal, what does that matter?

The last Purolator I got for my Ion was built well and fit great. I may try a Napa Gold or, [censored], a Driveworks myself if my filter minder ever tells me I need a new one.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Agreed. That looks nothing like the Fram air filters I've used.....

Same here. Two of the cars I maintain both use rigid frame AF's, both Hondas. Including the one pictured in this thread the quality is just fine. As for the pic previously posted, I recently looked at a Fram EG CA8756 iirc for a 5.3L Tahoe the with a similar design to the one in the pic, and it appeared to be quite well made. I suppose there are exceptions, and that's why it's always good to inspect the any filter prior to purchase. As I said though, very satisfied with the Fram Extra Guard AF's for my applications.

I've used quite a few purolators, still do.

i've used fram as well but i got away from them.

I guess like any other company you'll have a few bad filters here and there.

I once saw a fram conical style filter that the plastic end fell off and air was just bypassing the filter all together.

For air filters I always go with OE. Toyota's Denso filter has an excellent filtering media, and I use the A-1618C in my 5.3L C1500 which has been tested to be an excellent filter.

What's interesting about the Silverado truck application that it calls for 3 different filters. I use the A-1618C filter for the Duramax engine. It's a different part# for the gassers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back