'80 Suzuki GS750 Race Motor - Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets try this again - I posted in the wrong section the first time.

Background: I race vintage road racing sidecars. I lost my old motor due to piston slap and just got a good used motor dirt cheap. The new motor is a '80 Suzuki GS750 and it had 14,000 miles on it. I have an external oil cooler and an external oil filter. I only race in the summer. I change oil/filter after every race weekend which means there would be roughly 100 miles on the oil when I change it out.

This year I'll be using Blackstone and get an analysis after each race weekend.

I can save a LOT of money switching to Rotella T6. I use 6 quarts of oil with the filter and external cooler added in.

Looking at the results posted here, it appears I'll be okay.

Thoughts?

To clarify, this is an air cooled engine, shared sump, with a ball / roller bearing crank, right?
My only concerns with T6 would be viscosity shear down. You might look at 15W-40, which is what I run in my Suzuki, but I don't race either.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
To clarify, this is an air cooled engine, shared sump, with a ball / roller bearing crank, right?
My only concerns with T6 would be viscosity shear down. You might look at 15W-40, which is what I run in my Suzuki, but I don't race either.

Air cooled, shared sump with split flat bearings, not roller bearings.

I was thinking that I could escape the viscosity issue with the frequent oil changes. I always change oil/filter after each race weekend anyway.

A UOA will tell for sure, but I'd run it, or Mobil 1 15w-50. If you feel like experimenting, you could try both and compare results.

Oh, and I don't see either shearing down enough in a weekend of racing to be a problem.

Last edited:
Here's some pics

05-IMG_4579-M.jpg

03-IMG_4560-M.jpg

and the reason why my next few months will be spent doing fiberglass work. I was ... "aggressively" overtaken in a tight turn.

P6021747-M.jpg

P6021749-M.jpg

better pic of the motor

P7201804-M.jpg

but this is my true love (hope my wife isn't reading this)

Pike's Peak before they ruined it.

i-7znGD3M-M.jpg

wow - so cool indeed.

Rotella is a robust oil. 14k on the motor without a tear down/inspection, going to T6 then getting an analysis. Hope the used motor is in decent shape.
6qts and 100mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back