Elantra timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Elantra will be coming up for the second timing belt change this year (120k). I did not own the vehicle at 60k so I do not know what all was replaced with the first T-belt change. I know that on some vehicles it is recommended to replace the water pump at the same time to save labor costs if it fails down the road. From what I understand, the water pumps on these cars are not known for failing and the pump is not driven by the timing belt. The pump is pretty easy to access and inexpensive. ($65 for OEM) I do plan on having new drive belts installed and probably a new tensioner. Is it worthwhile to replace the water pump as preventative maintenance or does that really only apply for cars when the pump is driven by the timing belt?

some water pumps have plastic fins and should be replaced due to potential of breakage. If they do it reasonable cost, replace it and do not worry. And usually they replace coolant while doing it. Good maintenance means good peace of mind and fewer problems on the road.

If it were mine it would get a w/p and tensioner along with the idlers replaced. Failure of one can compromise the others.

The water pumps are driven off of the timing belt. They do not commonly fail as they do have metal fins. They will begin to lose proper sealing and begin to slowly weep coolant. You may notice some crust around the pump's mounting surface. Due to the low cost of a water pump, it should be replaced when the timing belt is replaced. Also recommend replacing the accessory belts, as they will all be coming off as part of the job. Get everything done and save on the labor to replace them all later.

Get this : GATES Part # TCKWP284

It gives you everything you need for a timing belt job. Recommend flushing the cooling system after belt/pump replacement. Rockauto has that kit for $82.79.

Replace your drive belts while you are at it as well. Suggested part #s :

Goodyear Gatorback Belts # 4040347 ( Alternator )
# 4040335 ( A/c )
# 4030267 ( P/S )

Last edited:
The 2.0 water pump is not driven off the timing belt. It's not that big a deal to replace the pump if failure is imminent. I would however replace the idler and tensioner pulleys on the timing belt. Should be under $100 for the whole timing kit. Should take about 2-3 hours for the average home mechanic.

Thanks, man! Didn't expect the part numbers and everything. This site rocks!
smile.gif

We just bought a 69k mile 2004 Elantra GT for my mom.
I called a couple local dealerships and they recommend the Tbelt and water pump and said that the tensioner and pulleys have been very solid on these cars and usually last until the 2nd or 3rd Tbelt change. One dealer even recommended aftermarket water pump to save $ - almost unheard of!
I want an OEM belt though, so we ordered the belt and pump from hyundaiparts.net (its a dealer in the PNW with the best parts prices I've found). Then got a steal on Gates belts from Rockauto. Local indy shop is okay with her bringing the parts in.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
The 2.0 water pump is not driven off the timing belt. It's not that big a deal to replace the pump if failure is imminent. I would however replace the idler and tensioner pulleys on the timing belt. Should be under $100 for the whole timing kit. Should take about 2-3 hours for the average home mechanic.

It would be prudent to use the cam holding tools.

I'd do new tensioning pulleys for the timing belt. The tensioner for the 3 separate drive belts is how tight one can force the idler pulleys while tightening down the bolt. The PS belt is tightened by adjusting the PS pump itself. It makes more sense once under the hood.

The cams on this car don't move easily once the t-belt is off, and the timing marks are pretty easy to align. Just don't bump the cam pulleys and one is okay.

Last edited:
I just did a 2001 Elantra. I used the Gates TCKWP284 kit (belt, water pump, tensioner, idler.) The water pump is not driven by the timing belt but why not change it since it's in the kit. I also did all 3 belts, replaced the oil pan (stripped drain plug) and flushed all the fluids (coolant, PS.) On a 2001 (not sure about your 2004) you don't need a the cam lock tools, the timing belt drives the exhaust cam and the intake cam is driven with a chain on the other end of the cams. One of the simplest timing belts I've done.

Edit: Kit was $82.83 from Amazon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back