1. PYB
2. Chevron Supreme
3. Havoline

tier 2:

4. Valvoline
5. GTX
6. Quaker State
7. Super 5000

They all will perform about the same as they all meet SN. This teir 1 / tier 2 stuff is bogus as it is mainly about brand recognition and bias in a region.

But I'll play:

Teir 1:
Kendall (blend tho)
MC (blend tho)
MS5K
PYB
QSGB

Teir 2:
GTX
VWB
Trop Artic
WPP oils
Havoline/Chevron supreme as they are the same oil

Originally Posted By: volk06
They all will perform about the same as they all meet SN. This teir 1 / tier 2 stuff is bogus as it is mainly about brand recognition and bias in a region.

But I'll play:

Teir 1:
Kendall (blend tho)
MC (blend tho)
MS5K
PYB
QSGB

Teir 2:
GTX
VWB
Trop Artic
WPP oils

Where do you buy Kendall and MC I have never seen it, why do you have QS so high with that high sulfur content? Pretty obvious its lesser oil, and I think the PQIA analysis showed Havoline and Chevron are different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Is this just in opinion or some sort of fact?

I like but don't care either way:

Valvoline
Formula Shell
Pennzoil
Quaker State

Isnt formula shell the worst of Pennzoil QS shell line? curious why you like them the most

Originally Posted By: NorrisB

But I'll play:

Teir 1:
Kendall (blend tho)
MC (blend tho)
MS5K
PYB
QSGB

Teir 2:
GTX
VWB
Trop Artic
WPP oils

Where do you buy Kendall and MC I have never seen it, why do you have QS so high with that high sulfur content? Pretty obvious its lesser oil, and I think the PQIA analysis showed Havoline and Chevron are different.

Kendall from a local farm store. Motorcraft - any ford dealer, walmart, or auto parts store. Sulfur doesn't mean much as some additives contain sulfur. Motorcraft, MS5K, QSGB, all have higher sulfur - that number doesn't mean much. Chevron Supreme and Havoline are the same as they merged those two lines.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Is this just in opinion or some sort of fact?

I like but don't care either way:

Valvoline
Formula Shell
Pennzoil
Quaker State

Isnt formula shell the worst of Pennzoil QS shell line? curious why you like them the most

Because it's cheap in a 12 pack at Costco, and it has always worked fine for me.. I go about 6k on conventional so it likely makes no difference which one I use.

I'm considering value for the dollar considering all major offerings meet API certification.

Mobil Super 5000
Peak
Shell
Chevron Supreme
Texaco Havoline
QS Green bottle

Good oils but poor value for the money.

Pennzoil Yellow
Castrol GTX
Valvoline White bottle

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'm considering value for the dollar considering all major offerings meet API certification.

Mobil Clean 5000
Peak
Shell
Chevron Supreme
Texaco Havoline
QS Green bottle

Pennzoil Yellow
Castrol GTX
Valvoline White bottle

Surprised you have PYB in the poor value, here it is cheaper than GTX, VWB, and MC. Cheaper than peak unless peak is on sale. Its only .75 more than QSBG, 15.47 vs 14.xx

If a oil is a conventional oil that is API SN /ILSAC GF-5 there is minimal difference. All will be fine in the appropriate viscosity , OCI , engine application. Personally I prefer MS5K or PYB but thats just my opinion .

Where do you buy Kendall and MC I have never seen it

At least in SF Bay Area, Kohlweiss in Redwood city sells Kendall and it's often available on Amazon, I've seen it in at lesat two different indepedent shops, so local disributors would carry it. Motorcraft is quite available at O'Reillys, at least.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is a UOA report of Mobil Super 5000 in service for more than 9k miles and TBN was above 1.0. A conventional oil that can be in service for more than 9k miles is not a second tier oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2858283#Post2858283

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

No boron, no moly fairly weak add pack.

It has sodium and titanium. It doesn't need moly or boron. It doesn't have a "weak additive package".
Take a look at this. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2800663

I'll make it easier since we don't know what vehicle these oils are going to be used.

1. All the above

Bill

Tier one
Chevron supreme

Tier two
All others

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Mobil Clean 5000
Peak
Shell
Chevron Supreme
Texaco Havoline
QS Green bottle

Pennzoil Yellow
Castrol GTX
Valvoline White bottle

Surprised you have PYB in the poor value, here it is cheaper than GTX, VWB, and MC. Cheaper than peak unless peak is on sale. Its only .75 more than QSBG, 15.47 vs 14.xx

Not to mention it has a but load of moly and good shot of boron!!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is a UOA report of Mobil Super 5000 in service for more than 9k miles and TBN was above 1.0. A conventional oil that can be in service for more than 9k miles is not a second tier oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2858283#Post2858283

I would agree that Mobil don't make second tier oils and are on a par with Castrol and Shell, the only other US based engine oil company the fussy Germans think makes good oil is Valvoline.
Drifting slightly off topic, you should not jump to conclusions when looking at a single UOA unless your vehicle has the same engine, in the same main block condition and subject to the same useage. Even when all those factors are the same a different climate, particle streaks and leftover oil from the last OCI can distort the figures.
A 10K mile OCI is possible with quite a number of different conventional oils if you do mostly highway miles, although I am in the one third of VOA TBN camp rather than the Blackstones 1 camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back