M1 TDT 0/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to cross check my UOA results from using Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5/40, by using another full synthetic oil and although I did think of using Castrol Edge 5/40 which is used by the Volvo dealer I have decided to use M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 0/40 as it is the recommended oil for my V40 and less expensive than Edge.

Make
VOLVO
Model
S40, V40 1.9D Turbodiesel (Classic)
Engine
DT
Year
2000-2004
MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL 0W-40

The spec sheet looks the same as normal M1 0/40, so does anyone know what the diffference is or know of the VOA or some UOA's for this oil.

Code:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 Value

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)

@ 40º C 75

@ 100º C 13.5

Viscosity Index 185

MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000

HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8

Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8

Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3

Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1

Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230

Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

Code:

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value

@ 40º C 75

@ 100º C 13.5

Viscosity Index 185

They appear to be identical, LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Code:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 Value

@ 40º C 75

@ 100º C 13.5

Viscosity Index 185

Code:

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value

@ 40º C 75

@ 100º C 13.5

Viscosity Index 185

They appear to be identical, LOL!!!

It could be they just stick a different label on it to keep costs down. LOL They have probably one of the best 0W40 synthetic oils on the market, at least according to several members here, why mess with it? Or its a mistake.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's because you have the 0W40 up twice! Actually the UK version is only API rated CF, and has a higher SA level than the 5W40 version.

Look at the first line of each of my quotes, they are from two separate Product Data Sheets.

There is no Mobil 1 0W40 TDT, if "TDT" means Turbo Diesel Truck.
There IS a Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel; I don't know where you came up with the "Truck" word.
Clearly Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W40 is just rebadged Mobil 1 0W40.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
There is no Mobil 1 0W40 TDT, if "TDT" means Turbo Diesel Truck.
Clearly Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W40 is just rebadged Mobil 1 0W40.

Charlie

Yes, as indicated with my quotes of their spec sheets above
smile.gif

That's because you have the 0W40 up twice! Actually the UK version is only API rated CF, and has a higher SA level than the 5W40 version.

He has posted Mobil 1 TDT and Mobil 1.

There is also Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 and New Life 0w40.

All the spec sheets seem to be identical. New stock New Life, as used recently in the Taxi and next week in the Clio is now marked up as SM/SN.

As it is apparently identical to TD then i think you can safely assume TDT is also SN.

Pretty much all oils are marked up for petrol and diesel.

When you see many people using diesel oil to get access to a more robust oil it makes perfect sense for oil manufacturers to just make the more robust oil.

Especially in the European market where quality is more important than cost.

So now m1 0w~40 is a diesel oil too?
Is there anything it doesn't do since it seems able to do well in most any application.
My Harley needs a 50 grade but maybe I'll try this stuff in the cooler spring months for a short run

Well in Europe they sell it marked up as Turbo Diesel and New Life.

I never realised they were identical on paper till it was pointed out on the forum.

I suppose it could just be coincidence that both oils have the same test scores, but I doubt it.

Though in Costco the Turbo Diesel label is the same as it was 2 years ago when I last bought Turbo Diesel when the new stock New Life is now labelled SM/SN, before it was only SM.

Does this infer that TD is the older formulation?

I can say that for the first time I put 0w40 New Life in the Taxi and it has used no measurable quantity of oil in over 2000 miles.

Which does put to bed the comments regarding oil consumption when older engines are run on Mobil 1.

I thought it might use some so was happy with the results.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So now m1 0w~40 is a diesel oil too?
Is there anything it doesn't do since it seems able to do well in most any application.
My Harley needs a 50 grade but maybe I'll try this stuff in the cooler spring months for a short run

God's own oil buddy, God's own oil
wink.gif
Suckled from the breast of Aphrodite, and fortified with the blood of Zeus
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl

I never realised they were identical on paper till it was pointed out on the forum.

I suppose it could just be coincidence that both oils have the same test scores, but I doubt it.

Though in Costco the Turbo Diesel label is the same as it was 2 years ago when I last bought Turbo Diesel when the new stock New Life is now labelled SM/SN, before it was only SM.

I can say that for the first time I put 0w40 New Life in the Taxi and it has used no measurable quantity of oil in over 2000 miles.

Which does put to bed the comments regarding oil consumption when older engines are run on Mobil 1.

From what I've learned about consumption when changing brands is the new oil cleans the previous oils build up and anti~wear wear layer,so consumption may increase until these layers are put back,sealing up everything again.
Keep in mind this was explained to me in the simplest of terms and I'm sure there is more to it than this however I'm not up to that chapter yet.

He has posted Mobil 1 TDT and Mobil 1.

There is also Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 and New Life 0w40.

All the spec sheets seem to be identical. New stock New Life, as used recently in the Taxi and next week in the Clio is now marked up as SM/SN.

As it is apparently identical to TD then i think you can safely assume TDT is also SN.

Pretty much all oils are marked up for petrol and diesel.

When you see many people using diesel oil to get access to a more robust oil it makes perfect sense for oil manufacturers to just make the more robust oil.

Especially in the European market where quality is more important than cost.

In these posts, where does the 2nd "T" in "TDT" come from?
the poster's imagination?

Charlie

All we can conclude is that they have the same base stock, BUT without a full VOA I would not jump to conclusions and one difference is the Moly content, as normal 0/40 has Moly but the TD 5/40 does not and I have not seen a VOA or UOA for the TD 0/40, so I don't know about that one. Also I would not be surprised if their detergent packs were slightly different.
I doubt very much if Mobil sell an oil under two different labels in the same area, but just to confuse things they might be using a different label from one area to the next.

This is a UOA for M1 TD 5/50, which is interesting because it is Moly free AND has a low Calcium content (Replaced partly by a high Magnesium based detergent), so it is a very different add pack to normal 0/40:

M1 TD 5/40 UOA

PS. The VW TDI in that UOA is in incredibly good condition for the miles and it has one of the best set of figures for that type of diesel I have seen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship

All we can conclude is that they have the same base stock, BUT without a full VOA I would not jump to conclusions and one difference is the Moly content, as normal 0/40 has Moly but the TD 5/40 does not and I have not seen a VOA or UOA for the TD 0/40, so I don't know about that one. Also I would not be surprised if their detergent packs were slightly different.
I doubt very much if Mobil sell an oil under two different labels in the same area, but just to confuse things they might be using a different label from one area to the next.

This is a UOA for M1 TD 5/50, which is interesting because it is Moly free AND has a low Calcium content (Replaced partly by a high Magnesium based detergent), so it is a very different add pack to normal 0/40:

M1 TD 5/40 UOA

PS. The VW TDI in that UOA is in incredibly good condition for the miles and it has one of the best set of figures for that type of diesel I have seen.

Well are we not to believe Mobil on this? They bottled it but sunkship thinks we shouldn't believe them. That's rich.

Look at the first line of each of my quotes, they are from two separate Product Data Sheets.

Sorry, Overkill, it was the "Truck" part that got me confused. Looks like UK's TD is our regular 0W40!

And TD 0w40 was the same as the SM version of New Life 0w40.

I am not sure if the labelled SM, SN version as stocked by Costco is a newer formulation like you have in the US or if the SM formulation has been relabelled S if also meets SN out of the box?

The TDS I have read are all a year or a old at the moment, will keep looking around to see if I can see any newer spec Info.

But I will only buy the bottles marked SM and SN.

Tesco (large supermarket chain) still has the SM only version in stock, would never buy there as they want £50 for 5 litres, less than a mile away and Costco has SN up for £30.

Sorry, Overkill, it was the "Truck" part that got me confused. Looks like UK's TD is our regular 0W40!

Yup, but their New Life 0w40 is also the same oil, LMAO!!!!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back