Mobil 1 0W40 is no longer approved for Nissan GT-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, it's always possible Mobil has just left it off.

They have so many spec sheets around the world with different information.

Didn't Nissan themselves always recommend the 0w40? I can't imagine they would suddenly have nothing for GTR owners to use. If a car originally said, Mobil 1 0w40, I don't see how you couldn't keep using it for the long term.

Redline 0w40 is recommended too
20.gif

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=9

2009 Nissan GT-R Owners Manual:

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/gt-r/2009/2009-Nissan-GTR.pdf

2011 Nissan GT-R Owners Manual:

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/gt-r/2011/2011-Nissan-GTR.pdf

Page 311 in 2009 manual states:
"ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION
Mobil 1, 0W-40 (100% synthetic) is the factory
fill oil. The VR38 engine with its plasma-sprayed
bores was developed using this oil. NISSAN
cannot ensure proper engine operation and
durability if other 0W-40 synthetic oil is used.
If Mobil 1, 0W-40 is not available, Mobil 1,
10W-40 (100% synthetic) may be used; however,
some performance loss may be noticed."

Section 9-5 of 2011 manual states the same exact thing. So Nissan probably is still approving this oil

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/gt-r/2009/2009-Nissan-GTR.pdf

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/gt-r/2011/2011-Nissan-GTR.pdf

Section 9-5 of 2011 manual states the same exact thing. So Nissan probably is still approving this oil

I had just seen the owners manuals too. I remembered this thread and came here to post that same quote. Glad you already had!

I think that is a pretty huge approval for Mobil 1 0w40 in the GT-R. I've never seen a manufacturer so strict on a recommendation from my recollection.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Originally Posted By: EricJRoy

I had just seen the owners manuals too. I remembered this thread and came here to post that same quote. Glad you already had!

I think that is a pretty huge approval for Mobil 1 0w40 in the GT-R. I've never seen a manufacturer so strict on a recommendation from my recollection.

I think it's worth mentioning that if you go to M1 website and have them "help you choose" an oil you'll end up @ M1 0w-40 for the GT-R.

- Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:
MB-Approval 229.3, 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00, 505 00
PORSCHE A40
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6

- Nope. Nissan is nowhere on there. They must have withdrawn their approval for some reason. Maybe M1 changed its formulation from PAO to Visom? (shrug)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
- Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:
MB-Approval 229.3, 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00, 505 00
PORSCHE A40
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6

- Nope. Nissan is nowhere on there. They must have withdrawn their approval for some reason. Maybe M1 changed its formulation from PAO to Visom? (shrug)

Perhaps you wish to retract this post in light of the 2012 owners manual statement:

Originally Posted By: Nissan
ENGINE OIL
Mobil 1 (0W-40) (100% synthetic oil)
Mobil 1 (0W-40) (100% synthetic) is the factory
If Mobil 1 (0W-40) is not available, Mobil 1
(10W-40) (100% synthetic) may be used;
however, some performance loss may be
noticed.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/og/gt-r/2012-nissan-gtr.pdf

And for good measure, the same thing appears on page 10 of the 2013 manual as well:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/og/gt-r/2013-nissan-gtr.pdf

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And for good measure, the same thing appears on page 10 of the 2013 manual as well:

And it's still on the recently updated M1 0w-40 Canadian PDS, which I checked two days ago, dated August 2012, here.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

And it's still on the recently updated M1 0w-40 Canadian PDS, which I checked two days ago, dated August 2012, here.

It is on the US one too, Mobil just has it up with the ACEA stuff under "meet/exceeds" rather than under builder approvals, which is the same for the Canadian PDS
smile.gif

I don't think that there is an official GT-R specification -- no specific set of tests that can be run to obtain a certification. Instead, I think that Nissan KNOWS that M! 0W-40 is adequate in this application and has not demonstrated that another oil is also adequate. They even wiggle a bit when suggesting that M1 10W-40 be used in the absence of 0W-40 availability.

So, does the builder approve? Clearly, as stated serially in owner's manuals.

Likewise, does M1 0W-40 carry some sort of certification that another blender could seek? Probably not.

It is clear that Nissan recommends this oil and no other. It is not clear that there is a metric against which other oils could be compared nor that Nissan could use to grant approvals. I think that M1 is using the standard "meets or exceeds" language because there likely is no official way to obtain a "builder approval" for GT-R that can be sought by competitors.

If I am wrong, someone should be able to identify an actual specification or series of defined tests that Nissan has made available to formulators. Alternatively, Nissan would have to provide a testing service for which someone should be able to find evidence.

My guess is that Overkill and blackman777 are both correct from their own perspectives.

I was always taught to stay out of the fight if I am not prepared to take sides or have the ability to end it. It seems like I may need a refresher course...

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I don't think that there is an official GT-R specification -- no specific set of tests that can be run to obtain a certification. Instead, I think that Nissan KNOWS that M! 0W-40 is adequate in this application and has not demonstrated that another oil is also adequate. They even wiggle a bit when suggesting that M1 10W-40 be used in the absence of 0W-40 availability.

So, does the builder approve? Clearly, as stated serially in owner's manuals.

Likewise, does M1 0W-40 carry some sort of certification that another blender could seek? Probably not.

It is clear that Nissan recommends this oil and no other. It is not clear that there is a metric against which other oils could be compared nor that Nissan could use to grant approvals. I think that M1 is using the standard "meets or exceeds" language because there likely is no official way to obtain a "builder approval" for GT-R that can be sought by competitors.

If I am wrong, someone should be able to identify an actual specification or series of defined tests that Nissan has made available to formulators. Alternatively, Nissan would have to provide a testing service for which someone should be able to find evidence.

My guess is that Overkill and blackman777 are both correct from their own perspectives.

The thing is, the ACEA approvals are listed under the same section. Obviously they are formal approvals.

And if Nissan required a specific oil, they would be required by law to provide it free of charge, otherwise it is a violation of the MM act. So what they require is a specific level of performance, currently only available with M1 0w-40. This gives them some freedom with regards to MM, as other oils COULD be approved.... They just haven't been.

I certainly believe that the GT-R "spec" is just that. And if pressed, I'm quite sure Nissan could present their criteria used to evaluate the oil in question to assure it conformed before recommending it across the board for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back