Dumb things people say about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
i had a salesman at an Advanced Auto try and sell me a crank sensor because my starter solenoid was worn out...

All the people that refer to Advance as Advanced...

I bet the salesman at least knew where he worked...

Toyota are running away from 20 weight oil because Castrol list it last in their application lookup

From a lady that owned an older Aerostar with the electronic dash.
"and when I press this button (show/zoom 1/4 fuel level) I get more gas."

My great uncle always stopped after a few miles to let the tires cool off (70's Datsun pickup).

I stopped to help a couple of guys on the side of a freeway. One said he just put some oil in the car and it started acting up. He didn't think he put in enough and wanted a ride to get more.. Not being familiar with the car I asked where the dipstick was.
"Dipstick?" he replied.
I asked how did he know it wasn't enough.
"I keep putting it in this opening that says OIL but It's still not full. I must have a leak"
He sure had a few by then. I found the dipstick (the one under the hood) and told him how it works. I drained about 4 quarts out and amazingly the motor started but it ran bad. As I quickly walked back to my truck before I peed myself I heard him say, "My brother is not going to be happy."

After my mother got a new set of tires, "My engine runs smoother."

Car is cranking fine but won't start. "I think the bendix is broke" A little knowledge can be bad.

I was riding with someone and they kept riding the brakes. I asked why and she said the Shell commercial said to do that to keep them dry. It was 72F and sunny.

"It's jacked up in the back to make it go faster because it's always going downhill."

"I put racing oil in and now it has 30 more horsepower."

"Bugs on the windshield reduces MPG by 20%."

"I put the A/C on to cool off the motor but I got chilly so I rolled down the windows."

"They'll never catch on." circa 1905

Coworker: "After you changed my headlight the parking brake light came on. Did you do something to my wiring?"

confused2.gif

Sure enough, he had a brake line almost rusted through and leaking. Even talked him into fixing it pronto.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
"You're going to ruin your car! These run on diesel!" - said to me by an old man who sprinted across the gas station lot and threw his hands over the gas filler on my '67 Beetle to prevent me from ruining it by filling it with gasoline.

My dad got accosted the same way in his 1940 Ford Flathead, except the guy thought it needed 100+ octane. Nope, that engine was actually engineered to run on truly awful fuel (and rebuilt to run on unleaded.)

Originally Posted By: Gotch
...a driver from a new car dealership once told me (while in a 1979 Ford pickup) that it had the 302HP engine in it... He always confused displacement with horsepower. Metric displacement drove him nutz...3800HP Buick Riv...lol

I have a client with a '93 F-150 that he claims has "the 380 HP Lightning motor".

He has a 351. It's not the 240hp 351W Lightning. It doesn't have the extruded aluminum Lightning intake. Looks like a regular 351W. It's certainly not the supercharged 380HP 5.4.

"GMC trucks are built heavier duty and have thicker sheet metal than a Chevy."

"The engine burns oil so I filled it with gear oil because it's about twice as thick."

Mostly friends who, after hearing about my preference for 0w-30, say to me, "whoa, that's really thin, 5w-30 is as low as I go.". Mind you, these are car guys too.

"I got my oil changed but the light's still on saying I need to get it changed. Maybe they put the wrong oil in?" - not a car guy, my caliber driving friend

Originally Posted By: tom slick
"GMC trucks are built heavier duty and have thicker sheet metal than a Chevy."

Ooooh, I really like this one. Can just imagine the salesman's self-satisfaction level when the customer swallowed that one!

I asked my friend to open the hood,doesn't know where the lever is.How to check all the fluids or how often to check them?
Co worker at one morning driving her Camry to work,maintainnance
required light blink she turn back home scared and call the dealer.All she need is an oil/filter change.
Another,I asked where's the manual of her couple year old car,she
thinks it's on the house.Another one with check engine light
on dashboard 98 civic 100k-barely the engine no oil,put in 2.5
quart light dissapear after few miles of driving.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I change my oil every 3,000 miles cause I like to treat my car right.

This isn't REALLY far off from truth IMHO. Just the wrong wording.

Had a guy tell me he had a stock twin-turbo Daytona that he "only" had up to 320Km/h, because it got scary after that
smirk.gif

Some of these are really funny, LOL!

I knew a lady who once owned an 80's Toyota Cressida, not sure of the year but somewhere around '83. She said she had NEVER changed the oil in that car since it was new, and it ran almost 120K miles until the oil light came on. I think she added oil at that time but the engine was already toast. She said that's what the oil light was for, to tell you when you needed to add oil, right?

Whatever her deal was, if this story is true it's a real testimony to Toyota engineering - a car that lasted over 100K miles on the original oil that came from the factory!

Originally Posted By: raffy
Some of these are really funny, LOL!

I knew a lady who once owned an 80's Toyota Cressida, not sure of the year but somewhere around '83. She said she had NEVER changed the oil in that car since it was new, and it ran almost 120K miles until the oil light came on. I think she added oil at that time but the engine was already toast. She said that's what the oil light was for, to tell you when you needed to add oil, right?

Whatever her deal was, if this story is true it's a real testimony to Toyota engineering - a car that lasted over 100K miles on the original oil that came from the factory!

Wow. I know some manufacturers insist on leaving their break in oil in until the oil life monitor tells you to change it but this is ridiculous.

I have a client that has a Freestar that she uses as a Pilot car for oversize load semis.

She will not get her oil changed because she is embarrassed that she has a breathalyzer.

It's been over two years. Her Duratec 30 is noisy but it still runs.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Girl I know managed to buy a brand new Chevrolet Cobalt that surprisingly did not have air conditioning as standard equipment. She asked the dealer if they could install it, so they told her to get some estimates for an aftermarket system and they will install it for her.

Overheard once when I was in college. Girl telling her guy friends that she's getting this funny smell inside her car, the windows are fogging up, and the floor is getting wet. "Oh, you'll have to get the Freon recharged, probably switch over to that R-134 stuff.".

It's funny how some guys don't know anymore than girls do when it comes to cars.

But the guys are dangerous because they say it with authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back