M1 AFE 0w20 vs. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im using M1 AFE 0w-20 in my Prius for the Michigan winter time. I plan on running it out 10k miles. Good UOA's support this.

However, I went to AAP on my lunch hour, the Castrol syn products are BOGO. My next oil change will be 9,500 miles from now, I drive about 1750 miles a month, which puts it right around July or so = hot outside.

I was wondering if the Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 is on the thick or thin side for a 5w-30 and how it stacks up to M1 AFE 0w-20 as far as viscosity?

Many Castrol oils tend to run on the thick side for grade, however the gold bottle 5w30 Edge FST actually runs on the thin side for a 5w30. If you're running a 20 now it would give you a little thickness boost for summer but nothing I'd imagine you'd even be able to notice.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Just run the M1 0w20 year round.

I would but its actually cheaper right now to buy the Castrol because its BOGO at AAP, than it is to buy a 5.1qt jug of M1 at Walmart. I only need 3.5 quarts for my Prius.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Many Castrol oils tend to run on the thick side for grade, however the gold bottle 5w30 Edge FST actually runs on the thin side for a 5w30. If you're running a 20 now it would give you a little thickness boost for summer but nothing I'd imagine you'd even be able to notice.

Good to know!! Thats exactly the info I was looking for and exactly my thoughts too.

Last edited:

Oh, and AAP doesnt stock Titanium in the 0w-20 flavor either
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd stick with M1.

What would make you suggest sticking with M1 over Castrol Edge Titanium? They both seem to give exemplary UOA's and right now with AAP's BOGO sale, the Castrol is cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd stick with M1.

What would make you suggest sticking with M1 over Castrol Edge Titanium? They both seem to give exemplary UOA's and right now with AAP's BOGO sale, the Castrol is cheaper.

Just my personal preference I guess. If I had an AAP near me though I'd be all over the Syntec 5W50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's hard to know whether the Castrol is "heavy" or "light" for its grade because we don't know the HT/HS viscosity.

True, but using the kv and VI, it's easy enough to compare it to other oils with known HTHS values. Doing so the 5w30 FST looks to be 2.9 to 3.0 HTHS at the most, fairly light for a 30 grade oil.

I just ran the 0w20 and it was too thick (feeling) in the Summer and didnt prevent ring sticking ... And ... cost me $9-ea. I may have to find an "old fashioned" PAO/AN/POE real synthetic oil ...
+1 To Just sticking with the M1 or Toyota oils. I wouldnt be adverse to running the hyper lightweight SM Idemitsu Subaru in that engine. That engine also likes Motul 8100 EcoNergy 5w30 (if still available) which is actually a marginal 20 grade. Superb winter oil and adequate in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Why not castrol edge titanium 0w-20?

The AAP I was at didnt stock ow-20 in the titanium at all. Not even a spot on the shelf and when I asked the counter guy lazily replied "whatevers out there is all we've got".

I run M1 0-20 year round in both Fords and the oil appears to hold up very well even in the 100-110F days we had last summer.

I'm using the 0w-20 AFE in my hemi right now with no complaints as of yet. And I'm a Mobil hater so I'm trying real hard to find fault with this stuff,but it seems to be working great. We get brutal winters here,thus far the truck isn't missing a beat. And it seems to rev a bit better.
Could be all in my head though.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm using the 0w-20 AFE in my hemi right now with no complaints as of yet. And I'm a Mobil hater so I'm trying real hard to find fault with this stuff,but it seems to be working great. We get brutal winters here,thus far the truck isn't missing a beat. And it seems to rev a bit better.

Perfect oil in your climate IMO.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Perfect oil in your climate IMO.

Agreed. I'm glad I took some time off my hate Mobil tirade to give this stuff an honest shot,setting aside all my preconceived notions about Mobil 1 and extra acoustics etc. The truck has no problems turning over or starting and I even noticed a slight improvement in how it revs,as compared to the PP 5w-20 I had in it before this run. I'm glad I took tigs advice on this one.
Disclaimer
I am still not a fan of Mobil however this particular oil in my climate and application seems about as ideal as it could possibly get. There is no noticeable consumption either,which everytime ive used a mobil oil in the past few years the engine i used it in consumed oil,and although my experience has been more top end noise with mobil 1 this time there was no audible difference on the top end. I will say that as soon as i put the afe in i noticed the bottom end almost sounded like a diesel but that noise went away after a few days and hasnt returned. I'll let everyone know if my engine dissolves though.

The SN stuff appears to be an improvement too over the SM stuff. People are noticing quieter engines and much lower wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back