Noisy Warn Front Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 land rover lr3 with a warn front diff. It is whining pretty good and I can't afford to get it replaced right now. (dealer says it isn't serviceable and I can't find parts) I was wondering if I put some heavy gear lube in it if that would quiet it down and get me by for a while. I just put 75-90 royal purple in it and it is louder than it was with the factory oil at 65k miles. I saw that amsoil makes some real heavy gear lubes..sae 190. Would that maybe get me by for a few months?? the noise is the loudest at about 35mph while lightly accelerating and above 70mph...when you let off the gas it goes away. LR dealer said that they ran it on their lift and used some listening device to determine that it was in fact the front differential

I see more of these "non-serviceable" diffs out there. Nissan has some on their trucks. What is with this? You would think Randy's Ring and Pinion or some other after market group would be on this like white on rice.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A heavy lube will help, but not cure.
Get a 90-140 and dump the RP.
Sorry.

i also just put rp in the rear diff that is in good shape....should i drain and fill with something else...if so what?

yeah try a 140 weight. no reason to change the rear.

That is sad that a 2005 vehicle cannot be repaired, and I find it hard to believe.

I would find an independent shop that specializes in axles/differentials and get a 2nd opinion.

or if that really is the case (no parts, non repairable), try some thick oil, if the noises goes away sell it fast.

Run the cheapest dino you can find if your going to replace it soon. Get a second opinion like someone else said though.

Okay, Thanks for the suggestions folks...I put in 85-140 castrol dino in today and took it for a spin...you can BARLEY hear it if you listen but almost all of the noise went away. Hopefully it will hold up for a few months until I can get a new diff. Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: Jmeyers278
why dino over synth??
I suggested it because it's cheaper.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Jmeyers278
why dino over synth??

because of this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2861519&page=1

Congrats on fixing the noise.

Ergle... PAO's don't cling, and tend to suck at buffering gear teeth from clashing with each other. It's why Eaton tends to suggest they avoid synthetics in their Tru-Trac differentials.

Esters like Dino sourced oils, cling to metal, esters tend to stick better though. It's why pure PAO gear oils don't really exist, they all to some extent have Group III or Esters worked in.

As for Redline gear oils being too thin... Eh? The shockproof only go up to 75w90 in weight, and use a lot of calcium and some other stuff that they won't say, to make up the 'shock absorption' properties. the 75w90NS gear oil is only meant for short term use, the 75w90 is long term use and friction modified. As for thin...

Amsoil 75w140
40c: 193.2
100c: 27.5

Redline 75w140
40c: 180
100c: 27.4

Redline 80w140
40c: 231
100c: 26

Nemco 85w140
40c: 377.6
100c: 27.5

Shell Spirax S2 85w140
40c: 358
100c: 25.6

Those last two are non-synthetic gear oils, and I tossed in the Amsoil good measure. When things get warm, like most rear ends do, they non-synths are no thicker than the synthetics.

Oh and just for poops and giggles the Synthetic version of the Shell gear oil...

Shell Spirax S6 75w140
40c: 172.4
100c: 24.5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: gamefoo21
the 75w90NS gear oil is only meant for short term use

News to me, care to elaborate on this?

I asked Dave about using it in a differential that is a pain in the [censored] to service. He said it's only good for a year and 30,000 miles, IIRC. He said the reason being that the NS lacked some of the additives that the regular gear oil carries. Guess it has less anti-oxidation, anti-corrosion, metal pacifier type additives.

I was under the impression it only lacks friction modifier that would cause hard shifting in manual trannies.

I was going to order some to use in a 2002 Gov Bomb locker, per GM/EATON TSB that warns against FM as it would negatively effect the trigger clutch, to repace GM's grape juice.

I haven't found any other GL5 Synthetic without FM.

Originally Posted By: Grebbler
I was under the impression it only lacks friction modifier that would cause hard shifting in manual trannies.

I was going to order some to use in a 2002 Gov Bomb locker, per GM/EATON TSB that warns against FM as it would negatively effect the trigger clutch, to repace GM's grape juice.

I haven't found any other GL5 Synthetic without FM.

The last time I used Motorcraft synthetic gear oil there was no FM.
Redline makes "75w90 NS" which is synthetic and has no FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back