Mag1 Euro 5w-40 -> Anyone try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled the plug, did not want to take the chance of the free shipping disappearing.. $32 total, not bad for a 6-pack of full synthetic 5w-40... Their "FMX" marketing looks like it has some merit- We may see higher levels of ZDDP than normally found, especially in 5w-40 and other weights not bound by SM/SN requirements.

The pour point, viscosity index and other attributes look just as good or better as the top tier synthetics on the market.

This could be a real sleeper oil, could become a favorite as long as the price holds.

---
begin marketing tidbit from Warren's website:

"Mag 1's new technology products with FMX contain a version of High Phos retention ZDP (HPR ZDP) that keeps the phosphorous and zinc in the oil for much longer periods of time throughout the drain interval. While an important benefit in newer cars will be emissions systems protection, new and old cars alike will benefit in terms of camshaft wear performance durability. This means the oil will maintain its zinc and phosphorous much longer than before, and thus provide extended wear performance vs. previous API specification lubricants- all while maintaining current API specifications and licensing. We will be treating all of our Mag 1 oils over and above the levels required by the API and are taking the formulations to the maximum levels of Zinc and Phosphorous allowed by law. Our new FMX Synthetics will be taking this several steps further by using additional technology to reduce Camshaft wear by up to 56% vs. standard API GF-4 oils, using industry standard test.

In actuality, we have changed the formulation in use on our current Mag 1 oils but simply not changed the labeling yet. If you need to change your oil, we recommend using our current spec Mag 1 motor oils instead of oil additives, even our own."

Let us know what you think... Mag 1 has really caught my eye lately. looks like alot of good "bang for the buck" in their products, most if not all on amazon with free shipping.

When my piggy bank looks a little fatter I plan on ordering some mag1 moly grease and mag1 universal trans/hydraulic fluid.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
A bunch of guys bought it when it was $3.25/qt recently, so there should be some feedback coming soon...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2836170#Post2836170

That oil is a completely different animal being a diesel rated, thicker 40 weight... The one in the earlier thread would be like a Rotella T6 5w-40 substitute.

The Mag1 Euro-spec oil is akin to Mobil1's 0w-40. Not CJ-rated, on the thin side.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
here is a VOA of the 5w-40 euro

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Thanks for the heads up on the VOA. Hopefully a decent basestock makes up for the rather bland additive package, though the amount of ZDDP looks promising in the anti-wear department.

Maybe I'll put this through the paces come springtime. My next oil change is due and this probably won't get here in time, so in goes some M1 5w-40 ESP Formula "M" I've got in the stash.

Well I guess it will go into bimmer coming September, I'm interested in UOA also. Then Lubro Moly TopTec 4100 5W-40 or Motul LL-04 5w-40 , then All fleet Mag 1 5w-40. But it will take 4 years to compare all 4.

Runs great in my '01 E320. I ordered some last year, and it has been in the sump since October. I notice no difference in performance or fuel economy etc from when I had M1 0w-40 or GC. Solid alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back