07 Prius- Mobil Super Syn 5w-30, 6620 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sent out for my first UOA on the 2007 Prius I bought in Sept 2012. I drove the car for a week, dumped whatever the Toyota Dealer put in, and did a run of Mobil Super Syn 5w-30 for 6,620 miles. The car has 60000 miles on it. What do you guys think?

zjxee1.jpg

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me what the SUS Viscosity mean and the cST viscosity numbers? I know Ive been a member since 2004 or so, but I have no idea what those numbers equate to..lol

This oil looks nothing like the Mobil super line up. It has moly instead of titanium and very little sodium. There should be around 35ppm TI and 350ppm of NA. This uoa doesn't look right. I'm going to say this is a lab error.

Did Toyota specify a 20 weight oil for the 2007 model year? I know that 0W-20 is the spec for the new ones. You might want to consider that in the future. With the engine cycling on and off in a hybrid, lighter oil probably offers a greater amount of wear protection than a thicker grade.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Did Toyota specify a 20 weight oil for the 2007 model year? I know that 0W-20 is the spec for the new ones. You might want to consider that in the future. With the engine cycling on and off in a hybrid, lighter oil probably offers a greater amount of wear protection than a thicker grade.

Thats why I changed out the 5w-30 at 6600 miles and didnt wait til later
smile.gif

I was too giddy to drain/refill with the jug of Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 I had staring at me...lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Thats why I changed out the 5w-30 at 6600 miles and didnt wait til later
smile.gif

I was too giddy to drain/refill with the jug of Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 I had staring at me...lol.

I think you did the right thing. Particularly for a winter run in Michigan.
That's a great car that you have there. How do you like it?

Thanks! I agree on the M1 AFE 0w-20 being a good choice for Michigan winters.

So far, I loooovvveeee it. Since Ive had it (Sept 2012) Ive driven over 7000 miles and SAVED $1,200 in gas over the GMC Envoy it replaced. Ive only made $810 in car payments! The car has been FREE to me aside from oil
laugh.gif

I owned my Envoy for eight years and swore I'd drive it until the "doors fell off" but to be honest, I dont miss it one iota. The Prius is great in the snow too, to boot.

Last edited:

Thanks! I agree on the M1 AFE 0w-20 being a good choice for Michigan winters.

So far, I loooovvveeee it. Since Ive had it (Sept 2012) Ive driven over 7000 miles and SAVED $1,200 in gas over the GMC Envoy it replaced. Ive only made $810 in car payments! The car has been FREE to me aside from oil
laugh.gif

I owned my Envoy for eight years and swore I'd drive it until the "doors fell off" but to be honest, I dont miss it one iota. The Prius is great in the snow too, to boot.

It's amazing to have a car pay for itself. And then some! Glad to hear it's so satisfying. Best of luck with it.

How much better could this UOA possibly get with a 20 grade oil in it vs the 30? Add a shot of TBN and this could pass for Virgin oil!

Originally Posted By: Artem

How much better could this UOA possibly get with a 20 grade oil in it vs the 30? Add a shot of TBN and this could pass for Virgin oil!

Where did I say the UOA would be better with a 20 grade oil?

Originally Posted By: daman
The Prius is great in the snow too, to boot.

What snow?? haven't had any yet.

Ha. Yeah definitely not like winters past! I brought the Prius up north (Gaylord area) to the cabin a few weekends ago where we had about 1' of snow. Thing was a rockstar. Of course, I do have snow tires on (Michelin X-Ice).

Originally Posted By: Artem

Where did I say the UOA would be better with a 20 grade oil?

Well I think what he was saying was if the 30 weight performed as good as it did, then the 20 weight, "how could it get any better" than the UOA I posted. I dont think it was a swipe at you at all.

Last edited:
The Prius is great in the snow too, to boot.

What snow?? haven't had any yet.

Ha. Yeah definitely not like winters past! I brought the Prius up north (Gaylord area) to the cabin a few weekends ago where we had about 1' of snow. Thing was a rockstar. Of course, I do have snow tires on (Michelin X-Ice).

Hey i don't mind it one bit,cars not seeing much salt with winters like this..
banana2.gif

Hey i don't mind it one bit,cars not seeing much salt with winters like this..
banana2.gif

Yeah and as a boater, we need MUCH more precipitation than this or I wont be keeping my boat at my seawall this year
frown.gif

Fox2 Detroit said we were .2" away from our average snowfall for the season so far. We got that one storm with 8" of snow but its all gone now. I could go outside and rake the grass if I wanted...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back