Sloshing sound from heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.
During wintertime, our Fusion makes a 'sloshing' or 'waterfall' sound the first time you pull away on a cold start. The sound comes from the heater core and/or the center stack area (hard to pinpoint). It seems to only happen under 40 degrees F, and ONLY the first time you moderately accelerate after you start the car. If I were to stop, then take off again, the sound is not there. Evidently, a bunch of 2.5L Fusion owners have this issue. Ford have said that they acknowledge it, but say that it is not a reliability issue and not to worry. I believe a recommended fix was to use the coolant overflow tank from the 3.5L Fusion Sport, but in many cases the issue is still there. So, a few things...

1) Why does this only happen under 40 F, and only the first time I pull away from a stop?
2) In a self-purging system, why is that small amount of air in the system?

My only guess is that somehow when cold, the system pulls in a very small amount of air on a cold start, and then eventually purges it out once it has cycled through. If we have the heat on full blast (obviously not hot yet since the car is cold) at say 45 degrees, the sloshing sound is not there. It has to be closer to freezing out to notice this.

While other Fusion owners have this issue every time the heat is on, while accelerating every time, my issues seem very minimal. I'm just curious as to why it happens, then goes away and 'fixes' itself? Coolant tank is full, and always has been. Any ideas? Ford does have a purging procedure for this issue (or maybe 2 procedures), but none of them have worked beyond a few weeks because the issue always returns. Evidently, Ford are well aware of this also. FWIW, every Fusion ever built has used the exact same heater core, both 1st and 2nd generation Fusions. And every Fusion ever built has used the exact same coolant overflow tank, with the exception of the Fusion Sports. Yet the only Fusions to have this issue are the 2.5L 2nd gen (with the exception of a handful of Fusion Sports).

I should also add that our heat is always good and hot, and not intermittent. And the engine temp always sticks right in the middle of the temp gauge and never fluctuates. This is opposite of engines that have air in their system, so from that standpoint, all seems well.

Welcome to another one of the Fusion's quirky issues. This has affected many Fusion owners. Ours did it since new until we got rid of it with 44K miles. Some have had success with dealer TSB's to alleviate the issue, although I'm not sure which is the latest and best attempt to rectify the issue. We never had problems with ours, just the noise.

Here is a 60 page thread on the subject, maybe the later pages will have some answers for you.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/3085-2010-fusion-sloshing-sound-when-first-driven/

I've looked at nearly every page of that thread
smile.gif
Out of curiosity, did your Fusion have the issue just upon cold startup like ours, or more often?

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I've looked at nearly every page of that thread
smile.gif
Out of curiosity, did your Fusion have the issue just upon cold startup like ours, or more often?

Sorry to reply so late to this Klutch, but ours did it mostly when cold. However, I would occasionally hear the noise at random, even when warm.

That sound which I have heard is not normal. Most likely culprits are the radiator cap not allowing the fluid to re enter the radiator, or a head gasket leaking at the piston to water jacket. Either one will give you a good pressure test. If it is the head gasket, you will usually have a bloated almost rock hard upper hose. A pressure test will be normal, because 16 PSI is lower than the hundreds of PSI from the combustion process. The radiator overflow tank will also smell like uncatylized exhaust.

The overflow tank just smells like fresh coolant. But good idea on doing a feel test on the upper hose; I never thought of that. Honestly, I think it's just a weird quirk that happens in these cars that has no negative performance or longevity affect; Ford has actually stated this implicitly. Not that everything a MFR says is gospel, but I'll take their word until I see a noisy heater core cause some sort of failure on this car. If you look on the Fusion forums, there is a 60 something page long thread talking about this issue. There were 3 members (maybe it's more by now) over the past few years who actually got new engines because of this issue, since the dealers couldn't pin the problem to anything else - probably because of what you said, the head gasket thing. As it turned out, 2 out of those 3 people still had the exact same issue. The 3rd member's problems going away could've been coincidence, who knows.

The car gets great heat, always quickly, and the temperature gauge always stays put. Plus, the sound is seldom now even in colder weather, so I'm not really concerned about it. Perplexed, yes, but not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back