Quick Lubes/Synthetic Oil Market Share - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
PieChart_zpsa8938dfe.jpg

Quote:
The 2012 National Oil & Lube News Fast Lube Operators Survey indicates significant growth for synthetic motor oils and increasing oil change intervals. While synthetics accounted for 11 percent of total motor oil sales at fast lubes in 2011, the percentage increased to 15 percent in 2012. The average customer oil change interval increased 6 percent from 4,520 to 4,777 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
By "Pennzoil" does that mean just that single brand, or does that include Quaker State (since they're both SOPUS)...or is QS part of the "All Others - 10%"?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Isn't that market share of quick lube places?

That's how I read it, too.

If the chart represents quick lubes..Does Jiffy Lube use Pennzoil exclusively? If so I would think Pennzoil would be much closer to Mobil. Jiffy Lube is high volume and has more than 2,000 franchised service centers in North America.

And Firestone is the only lube place around here that uses Kendall now. Is Walmart considered a lube place? They switch back and forth between Quaker State and Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
And Firestone is the only lube place around here that uses Kendall now. Is Walmart considered a lube place? They switch back and forth between Quaker State and Pennzoil.

Not sure if Walmart would count as a lube place but they let people choice whatever synthetic. When I have asked their oil change guys what is their most sold synthetic, Mobil is always mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
..I can't find the article. Buster needs to pop back in and give a link and an Amsoil source.

The full document source appears to be an amsoil dealer site/blog

The site has some really nice 1955-57 Super Chevy pics !

Thanks Buster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than a Amsoil web site I can not find where they break down the brand of syn in any chart.

They do break it down for ALL oils they sell....

Links for regions are here (for North/South EAST and Here (noth/south WEST)

I'm not going to link Buster's chart since it is not a sponsored Amsoil dealer here @ BITOG.

Buster where did you get this?

Bill

Correct, it's Quick Lubes. I'm trying to find the link..hang on.

Having trouble finding the original link, which I think was from an Amsoil site. So I would't post it regardless. However, the data is confirmed here:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article002523676.cfm

Quote:
Mobil remains tops in synthetic oil, with 42 percent of LT30 operators listing it as their top-selling synthetic oil. Trailing it are synthetics from Pennzoil (16 percent), Castrol (13 percent), Valvoline (10 percent), Amsoil (4 percent), Havoline (3 percent), Kendall (2 percent) and all others (10 percent).

In 2011, Mobil represented 56%. It's down to 42% this year.

http://www.noln.net/surveys/2011/2011_operators_survey.pdf

More:

http://noln.epubxp.com/i/81066/25

Originally Posted By: buster
Correct, it's Quick Lubes. I'm trying to find the link..hang on.

Please don't post it if its the Amsoil dealer... I've got to go out and shovel for the next few hours and would have to remove it.

Just confirm where it came from without the link if so.

Thanks, Bill

How did they even get those numbers? Random polls? Seems accurate though. I think Royal Purple would actually be higher than Amsoil since it has more mindshare and more shelf space, at lest here in Hawaii any way.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
How did they even get those numbers? Random polls? Seems accurate though. I think Royal Purple would actually be higher....

I've never seen RP at a quick lube place.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: buster
Correct, it's Quick Lubes.

Misleading subject line then.

Fixed it.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Please don't post it if its the Amsoil dealer... I've got to go out and shovel for the next few hours and would have to remove it.

So that's how mods fix threads - with a shovel.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back