Recommended OCI for Castrol Edge Titanium 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to land some Edge Titanium 0w20 with BOGO at Advance Auto Parts, and thought I'd ask what a fair OCI would be.

I drive a 2007 Ford Focus with 65,000 miles, and up until now have used MC 5w20 at 5,000 OCI. I know in the past Castrol has advertised 15,000 OCI, so I'm sure I could easily do 6,000 OCI for a low figure. What about 7,500? 8,000?

Just looking to get value out of the higher priced oil!

I agree, that should be 10k oil and it will do 7.5k with absolute ease if you're on the conservative side.

Manager at local AZ told me that Edge was 10K and Titanium 15K, comparable to M1 and M1EP based on a Castrol symposium he had recently attended. I'd feel good about 10K.

If this is the oil your planning on sticking with why not do a uoa so you can dial in your mileage and get the most value you can out of it.
Lets say you planned 10k drains,but a uoa shows 15 are doable. That's 1/3 less expense over the life of the vehicle,and to learn this info cost you 25 bucks.
Or what if you planned 10k drains,and the oil is shown to be depleted at 7000. Without that 25 dollar uoa you would know the oil was depleted and doing damage to your motor.
This is just an example and not actual figures before you guys rip me apart here.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If this is the oil your planning on sticking with why not do a uoa so you can dial in your mileage and get the most value you can out of it.
Lets say you planned 10k drains,but a uoa shows 15 are doable. That's 1/3 less expense over the life of the vehicle,and to learn this info cost you 25 bucks.
Or what if you planned 10k drains,and the oil is shown to be depleted at 7000. Without that 25 dollar uoa you would know the oil was depleted and doing damage to your motor.
This is just an example and not actual figures before you guys rip me apart here.
Good point. I am tentatively planning to continue with 0w20, leaning towards M1 or PP which is normally on sale for $25 for 5 quarts, cheaper than M1 EP and Castrol Edge Titanium (which I have yet to find in 5 quart jugs for 0w20). Admittedly in Ohio, 0w20 is a bit hard to find by the jug, retailing for AT LEAST $7 a quart - too steep for my blood. That is why I was sure to jump on this buy one, get one free deal for Edge Titanium by-the-quart at Advance Auto Parts.

I'll keep the UOA in mind - I know Edge has a bad rep on these forums, so maybe some more data on its usage might help.

agreeing with Clevy's post and I would suggest no longer than 12K unless you extend further on the basis of your UOA.

use a stellar air and extended oil filter.

You could do 8k with Mobil Super 5k 5w20 conventional with Ti in that engine. You absolutely could go 8k with Edge FST. You don't really even need a great filter. Jee wizz...people are acting like you are doing a 20k OCI.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244

I'll keep the UOA in mind - I know Edge has a bad rep on these forums, so maybe some more data on its usage might help.

Not a "bad" rep at all, just so many here pour Mobil 1 on their Cheerios there isn't much love for anything else!

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Whats your driving style? Highway or stop and go? What legth of time are we talking about?
I will be living in Columbus, Ohio for the next two years, so stop and go traffic will be the new norm. I am a conservative driver, and give the car normal wear.

Thanks for all of the insight everyone - it sounds like 8,000 miles should be easily doable.

If I were to go for 10,000 miles; I could easily buy two MC filters, swap them out at 5,000 miles each, and still come out cheaper than a distance filter.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Whats your driving style? Highway or stop and go? What legth of time are we talking about?
I will be living in Columbus, Ohio for the next two years, so stop and go traffic will be the new norm. I am a conservative driver, and give the car normal wear.

Thanks for all of the insight everyone - it sounds like 8,000 miles should be easily doable.

If I were to go for 10,000 miles; I could easily buy two MC filters, swap them out at 5,000 miles each, and still come out cheaper than a distance filter.
wink.gif

That sounds good. But your not counting the cost of oil in your filter comparison. But its a good idea. The make up oil will keep your tbn up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back