NGK Iridium IX plugs after service

Status
Not open for further replies.
These NGK Iridium IX (2115) plugs were in service for 18,974 miles on my Mitsubishi 6G72. When the plugs are shot, the truck has a habit of holding gears much longer than necessary and I decided it was time to replace them. The new units are Autolite APP-64 double platinums, and went in with a set of Denso wires.

Cylinder 1
2wbrn8l.jpg

lv5lx.jpg

6prey0.jpg

Cylinder 2
rmnw95.jpg

f35nah.jpg

211usdw.jpg

Cylinder 3
23i8dao.jpg

126bnd5.jpg

27ya8a0.jpg

Cylinder 4
5qknr.jpg

24ozio5.jpg

ao9fmv.jpg

Cylinder 5
opaf9.jpg

2vkxes7.jpg

o9lq1g.jpg

Cylinder 6
byh60.jpg

qqczs0.jpg

n9nxh.jpg

Type of gas used was 98 RON (93 AKI) with 100 ml of TC-W3. For the new set, I'll be using the same gas but with Techron every 3,000 miles and no TC-W3. See how they come out then.

Are you telling me those plugs are less than 20k old?

I am no ignition expert, but There maybe a much bigger problem with truck. Those are great plugs , they shouldn't have [censored] out this early.

I'm lead to believe they have a copper core and iridium tip. Then again, the gas we use here is [censored].

The pics don't show much.

I've used Iridium IX plugs in my truck and Hyundai. The Hyundai currently has about 20k on them and they're doing fine.

The Nissan Frontier went many, many thousands on a set of Iridium IX plugs without issue. I only changed the plugs because I was doing other work and decided to change the plugs at the same time, since it would be convenient.

If you are getting this short of life out of Iridium and Platinum plugs you might want to consider just putting copper plugs in. NGK V-power plugs are a great copper plug , save some cash and give them a shot.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm lead to believe they have a copper core and iridium tip. Then again, the gas we use here is [censored].

Every spark plug that I know of has a Copper Core.

The service life for those plugs in US is considered 60k miles or more. If your service life is this short, you might as well use Copper plugs. Save money and they actually have the best spark conductivity.

You pull them at 18K ?!? For iridium ?!

My iridium plugs are good for 100,000 miles as per owners manual. Easy highway diving probably much more. I agree with the move to the most inexpensive type of plug you can get...man that is slightly longer life than a late 1990's plug consuming RX-7...yikes. Most bottom rung copper plugs will last 50K miles.

Just a hint to preview pics before posting...my eyes are still trying to recover from the fuzzyness.

Last edited:
I wouldn't wait for 3k techron doses - I'd want redline SI-1 or FP+ or similar in use for each tank (maybe alternate each product every tank?). As you've said and as the plugs show - your gas is [censored].

Sorry about the pictures. They appeared alright on my phone, but now I'm on the computer, I see they're not as good as they appeared.

This is a tough place for cars. Fine particles of dust that gets past the air filter, high sulfur gas that's [censored] and with most people using Group I 20W-50 that barely meets the standards printed on the bottle, it's no wonder the average engine lasts about 100,000 miles.

Looks like it is running rich to be this dark at 20k. Is the heat range correct and do you have any air / fuel problem? Cleaned your IACV or MAF/MAP lately? Ignition coil in good health, wires in good condition, etc?

MAF turned out to be the wrong one. Factory one gave up and was replaced with one out of a junkyard vehicle. The catch codes don't match the original. Brand new one on the way.
thumbsup2.gif

I think the problem is the car using wasted spark ignition.
You need to have platinum/iridium tip on ground electrode as well for the plug to lasts. Normal Iridium IX does not have the platinum ground electrode, for NGK you need to go for NGK Iriway or the one with end with P(for platinum tipped ground electrode), or else you can try Denso Iridium Tough, Champion iridium or Bosch OE Iridium.

Good choice with the Autolites. I've had nothing but great experience with them.

Sorry about the pictures. They appeared alright on my phone, but now I'm on the computer, I see they're not as good as they appeared.

If your phone has a Macro setting, it will take better pics of object close up.
Just the opposite of what you have now and how plug boxes are clear and plugs themselves are blurry.

You should try to use Amazon.com grab some SL-1 and see if you can take advantage of their free shipping.
I know it worked YEARS ago. Order from the US Amazon to overseas, and free shipping still applied.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Good choice with the Autolites. I've had nothing but great experience with them.

They're definitely excellent plugs, and I have their double platinums in my Grand Marquis as well. Will use them on the Explorer once I need to do them. Are they as good a choice on GM engines over the ACDelcos? If memory serves me right, Champion makes the ACDelcos, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: OilFool
Just the opposite of what you have now and how plug boxes are clear and plugs themselves are blurry.

You should try to use Amazon.com grab some SL-1 and see if you can take advantage of their free shipping.
I know it worked YEARS ago. Order from the US Amazon to overseas, and free shipping still applied.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try that!
thumbsup2.gif

I've had great luck with 3M Max Strength and GM's rebranded Techron stuff - the oil turned pitch black after using either one! But I'll see if I can get SL-1.

They're definitely excellent plugs, and I have their double platinums in my Grand Marquis as well. Will use them on the Explorer once I need to do them. Are they as good a choice on GM engines over the ACDelcos? If memory serves me right, Champion makes the ACDelcos, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: OilFool

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try that!
thumbsup2.gif

I've had great luck with 3M Max Strength and GM's rebranded Techron stuff - the oil turned pitch black after using either one! But I'll see if I can get SL-1.

Yes they are a great replacement for AC Delcos. I've used them on all my GM cars and other people's as well. Champion does not make AC Delcos. They are made by NGK, Bosch, Denso depending on application. My CTS had Bosch Delcos and my truck had Denso Delcos for example. I put Autolite Double plats in the CTS and Iridium XP's in the truck. I have reg single Autolite plats in my LT1 Corvette.

Yes they are a great replacement for AC Delcos. I've used them on all my GM cars and other people's as well. Champion does not make AC Delcos. They are made by NGK, Bosch, Denso depending on application. My CTS had Bosch Delcos and my truck had Denso Delcos for example. I put Autolite Double plats in the CTS and Iridium XP's in the truck. I have reg single Autolite plats in my LT1 Corvette.

Thanks for the clarification! Looking forward to using these Autolite double plats in an LM7 and L29.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back