Advice on new crank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I might have to replace the crank on my MTB. I would like to stay around $150 for the part.....any advice? My bike now is a 3x9 but I am thinking of going to 2 in the front with a bashgaurd. I have seen several online that look good for around that price. I would also like to go with external bearings. TIA

Ive had fine luck with shimano and truvativ. Im pretty tall and heavier. No issues though I dont jump rocks from 5 feet...

Great deal, with BB: http://www.blueskycycling.com/product772_SPECIAL_-Shimano-XT-M785-2x10-Crankset-10-Speed.htm

If you want something smaller: http://www.blueskycycling.com/product5625_37_-Shimano-SLX-M665-Crankset-w--Bash-Guard-8-9-Speed.htm Also a good deal, with BB.

Which one really depends on what's more suitable for your riding. The XT cranks is obviously a higher-end crank, hollow forged crank arms, cold-forged vs. machined chainrings... It's lighter, stiffer and will shift a little better. Keep in mind that with a 10 speed chain, either crank will work on 8/9/10 speed rear, so don't worry about compatibility there. The big question is do you really *need* the bashguard (you can always add one to the XT), and more importantly is 26T a small enough gear. There's a pretty big difference between a 22 and a 26, and that will depend on your terrain and your fitness level. I can tell you that with a 26x34 I just don't see a need for a smaller gear. At that point, I can get off the bike and run faster...

As far as the bash guard, keep in mind you're a lot less likely to hit a 38 vs. a 46. I've ridden over a lot of high stuff and never hit the ring. Famous last words.

A 10-speed chain may or may not clear on a 9-speed chainring. The spacing is slightly different IIRC between the chainrings on a 2x10 vs a 2x9.

A little out of your budget
wink.gif

The SLX stuff is looking better and better. It's becoming almost a budget XT group. I think that's a pretty good buy at $140.

Originally Posted By: cchase
The SLX stuff is looking better and better. It's becoming almost a budget XT group. I think that's a pretty good buy at $140.

+1, dont think you can go wrong as it seems to be last year's XT.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the existing crank?

Well turns out nothing. I had been on trails with lot of soft sugar sand. I was having a vibration that could be felt into the pedals and it was making a terrible sound. After I spent 45 minutes cleaning everything with a toothbrush and re-lubing everything its nice and quiet
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back