PU Euro 5w40 SM vs M1 0w40 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I usually pick up M1 0w40 with filters and it ends up being about $4.50 a quart.

I don't need to increase my stash of filters so the non oil and filter deals are in a way more attractive.

So I can get PU Euro 5w40 SM for $3.50 a quart.

Both have the approval I need. Does anyone feel there is any downside to the cheaper oil?

I just wish I could get Mobil 1 0w40 for $4:50 a quart. Costco is the cheapest and it is £30 for 5 litres, which is a little more than five quarts.

At current exchange rate around the $45/50 region.

I would go for the Mobil and sell the filters on eBay.

But if the other oil meets your specs why not just add some more to your stash.

If I had the spare cash I would have done so when Costco had 20% of Castrol oil recently. Sadly I was broke!

Great deal. Up here in Canada the cheapest I've seen PU Euro 5w-40 is at NAPA for $11.49 a litre. ridiculous.

Mobil 0w-40 used to meet the chrysler material standard ms-10725 but it is no longer listed as meeting that spec, whereas PU 5w-40 meets this standard. I have not been able to find anything out about this standard. Does anybody know anything about this Chrysler oil spec?

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Mobil 0w-40 used to meet the chrysler material standard ms-10725 but it is no longer listed as meeting that spec, whereas PU 5w-40 meets this standard. I have not been able to find anything out about this standard. Does anybody know anything about this Chrysler oil spec?

Funny enough, apparently in India, it does:

http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0W40.aspx

LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: T-Stick

Funny enough, apparently in India, it does:

http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0W40.aspx

LOL!!!

It is unusual because the USA product data sheet does not list it:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

It's probably the result of falling-out that XOM had with Chrysler in the US when Chrysler switched suppliers and went with SOPUS instead for some of their high performance applications (SRT).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's probably the result of falling-out that XOM had with Chrysler in the US when Chrysler switched suppliers and went with SOPUS instead for some of their high performance applications (SRT).

I don't think it was a falling out, I think that due to the relationship already in place with their FIAT overloards, that Chrysler switched to SOPUS. Perhaps that's made XOM bitter? I'm not sure. But I wouldn't describe it as a falling out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, that's what I meant.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: FoxS
So I usually pick up M1 0w40 with filters and it ends up being about $4.50 a quart.

I don't need to increase my stash of filters so the non oil and filter deals are in a way more attractive.

So I can get PU Euro 5w40 SM for $3.50 a quart.

Both have the approval I need. Does anyone feel there is any downside to the cheaper oil?

If you can get PU Euro for $3.50 stock up!!!!

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Great deal. Up here in Canada the cheapest I've seen PU Euro 5w-40 is at NAPA for $11.49 a litre. ridiculous.

I was in New Zealand over Christmas. Repco were selling 5L jugs for $103! Even with the exchange rate, that's about $20/L

Stock up! The PU is a great oil...being able to get it cheaply is a lucky opportunity...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back