Getting Nauseous From Bald Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had the time to put the new hubs and tires on my Caravan this winter.

Front tires are so bald the front end shimmy is making me nauseous.
sick.gif

Is this normal?

It's nothing compared to the nausea you'll feel when you whack into something or somebody because your tires are slick. Finding the time should be a top priority.
thumbsup2.gif

Is what normal...the nausea
20.gif
or the shimmy?

Shimmy in very worn tires is common since the balance of the tire changes over time and wear. If you had them balanced they would likely get smooth again.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It's nothing compared to the nausea you'll feel when you whack into something or somebody because your tires are slick. Finding the time should be a top priority.
thumbsup2.gif

20.gif
or the shimmy?

Shimmy in very worn tires is common since the balance of the tire changes over time and wear. If you had them balanced they would likely get smooth again.

Balancing bald tires to get rid of the shimmy?!? I love this site for that reason..."just when you thought you heard it all" LOL

Next thing you guys will be telling me I can go more than 3,000 miles on synthetic oil. Oh wait....
grin.gif

Last edited:
I'm going to step out on a limb and guess that you have a loose front end part that's wrecking your alignment, making you shimmy, and tearing up your tires.

But a caravan takes 70 series 15 inch tires usually which are a dime a dozen, especially used. Ask around at the junkyards or look on CL then slap some on!

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Just ask at those USED TIRES $25/UP places for PULL-OFF tires...typically 1/3 the cost of retail/new.

+1

Just to follow up...

A "pull-off" is a (virtually) NEW tire that the new car owner chose to take off and replace with an upgrade...Just make sure you inspect inside the tire for any punctures/patches/plugs

20.gif
or the shimmy?

Both.

I should mention, only the front tires are bald, rears are half bald.

Didn't want to put worn tires on the rear, too dangerous.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Balancing bald tires to get rid of the shimmy?!? I love this site for that reason..."just when you thought you heard it all" LOL

Next thing you guys will be telling me I can go more than 3,000 miles on synthetic oil. Oh wait....
grin.gif

Hey, one of my brothers has done it several times. In his beater, he used to run on baloney skins he bought for $15.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Dangerous how....really? 80% of your braking, and all of your steering and acceleration is in the front. [censored], just go get a set of 4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Dangerous how....really? 80% of your braking, and all of your steering and acceleration is in the front. [censored], just go get a set of 4.

Yeah, but a rear tire blow out can cause a roll over crash.

I have a new set of tires and wheels waiting to go on, but all the hubs and front spindles need to changed as well to mount the new wheels, and its January in N.J. worse time of year for major repairs.

If it wasn't for the sickening shimmy I'd try to hold out till March.

I don't know, ask my neighbors.

One of them has a Dodge Ram with factory 20s. The tires are totally bald. No meat left, just belts showing.

I've never run a tire til bald. They get way too annoying for me long before that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is this normal?

Only if you're licking them.

You gotta wet it before you stick it in, but remember to get all the hairs off before you lick it....

Just ask at those USED TIRES $25/UP places for PULL-OFF tires...typically 1/3 the cost of retail/new.

Three was a tire dealer in my home town that would sell tires that we called "may pops". They literally had just enough tread left to be legal. They were five bucks a piece.

Probably not the smartest buy ever. But you had to pass inspection. Of course this same shop performed the inspection and was willing to overlook a few things if you came in every month to replace a five dollar tire.

Last edited:
20.gif
or the shimmy?

Both.

What? You put the bad tires on the front?
28.gif
What about steering?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Where are the state inspectors when you really need them?

Thankfully, Governor Christie eliminated N.J. safety inspections a few years ago, low and behold wholesale roadway wreckage never materialized.

Same thing when they raised the speed limit back up to 65mph.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Where are the state inspectors when you really need them?

Thankfully, Governor Christie eliminated N.J. safety inspections a few years ago, low and behold wholesale roadway wreckage never materialized.

Same thing when they raised the speed limit back up to 65mph.

With the obvious exception of YOU and your BALD TIRE SHIMMY Minivan driving around like a fool, wanting to save money instead of being safe on the road. Its amazing that the only thing you're worried about driving that thing is being nauseous.

You're the very person everyone is afraid of being on the road by not having state vehicle inspections.

BC.

Originally Posted By: DesertTundra

Three was a tire dealer in my home town that would sell tires that we called "may pops". They literally had just enough tread left to be legal. They were five bucks a piece.

Probably not the smartest buy ever. But you had to pass inspection. Of course this same shop performed the inspection and was willing to overlook a few things if you came in every month to replace a five dollar tire.

I guess you missed my follow-up that defined PULL-OFFS as NEW tires that were taken off for an upgrade...

I did NOT mean to imply one should buy old used tires for just passing inspection.

Yeah, but a rear tire blow out can cause a roll over crash.

And a front tire blowout can't?

I'm starting to think you're just Trolling. I'm out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back