Remington 121 purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a few minutes to kill this morning, so I went to an out of the way gun shop. [Yes, out of ammo.] Toyed with getting a Berretta 950 (I already reload, so reloading 25acp shouldn't be bad--but I suspect I'd rather have something else for my next handgun), but I think the Christmas money in my pocket is leaning more towards something to shoot at 100yards. Which is the max distance at the range I go to.

Now, other than the aforementioned 25acp, anything will hit the berm. And since I don't hunt, I really don't need a "serious" caliber. But as a cheapskate...

Anyhow, they had a Rem 121 pump, with a BSA 3-7 scope on it. I already own a Rem 572 but it's on indefinate loan to a friend. I didn't warm up to that gun: stiff trigger, and the forend seemed loose. The 121, despite being much older, just felt better in pretty much every way. Other than being old and an unknown (is it a shooter? broken? unreliable?). But it looks like parts are available on Numrich.

This particular gun was $200, with a cracked forend (not badly) and hardly any blueing; scope was new but I don't think BSA is highly rated. The scope was also sitting on the rear site. Would you buy it? I read good things about the 121 but I'm wondering if I'd rather wait and buy something else--or if I'd regret letting it pass. [They did have a bolt "target" rifle, forgot the model, but it was $400+ and used peep sites.] I prefer shooters, so low cosmetics don't bother me--except I prefer wood stocks.

I already have a 10/22, but I kinda like it just as it is: high viz sights, carbine, and I bought it new--I just can't bring myself to mar the paint putting a rail onto it so as to take a red dot (which is something else I'd like to have). [But I might, if it takes much longer for me to get those sights dialed in!]

I suspect the "right" answer is to buy this for fun, if I can afford it and want it; and hold out for either a 22Mag bolt or 17HMR for 100 yard shooting. [22Mag isn't as accurate but could be used for pest control--while I don't hunt I wouldn't mind something with a bit more umph. 17HMR might actually be boring--or, might reveal too much about the shooter--a 22Mag can always be blamed as being inaccurate, not so much so for the 17's.] But discussing this is more fun than the other current discussions about guns...

Originally Posted By: supton
Had a few minutes to kill this morning, so I went to an out of the way gun shop. [Yes, out of ammo.] Toyed with getting a Berretta 950 (I already reload, so reloading 25acp shouldn't be bad--but I suspect I'd rather have something else for my next handgun), but I think the Christmas money in my pocket is leaning more towards something to shoot at 100yards. Which is the max distance at the range I go to.

Now, other than the aforementioned 25acp, anything will hit the berm. And since I don't hunt, I really don't need a "serious" caliber. But as a cheapskate...

Anyhow, they had a Rem 121 pump, with a BSA 3-7 scope on it. I already own a Rem 572 but it's on indefinate loan to a friend. I didn't warm up to that gun: stiff trigger, and the forend seemed loose. The 121, despite being much older, just felt better in pretty much every way. Other than being old and an unknown (is it a shooter? broken? unreliable?). But it looks like parts are available on Numrich.

This particular gun was $200, with a cracked forend (not badly) and hardly any blueing; scope was new but I don't think BSA is highly rated. The scope was also sitting on the rear site. Would you buy it? I read good things about the 121 but I'm wondering if I'd rather wait and buy something else--or if I'd regret letting it pass. [They did have a bolt "target" rifle, forgot the model, but it was $400+ and used peep sites.] I prefer shooters, so low cosmetics don't bother me--except I prefer wood stocks.

I already have a 10/22, but I kinda like it just as it is: high viz sights, carbine, and I bought it new--I just can't bring myself to mar the paint putting a rail onto it so as to take a red dot (which is something else I'd like to have). [But I might, if it takes much longer for me to get those sights dialed in!]

I suspect the "right" answer is to buy this for fun, if I can afford it and want it; and hold out for either a 22Mag bolt or 17HMR for 100 yard shooting. [22Mag isn't as accurate but could be used for pest control--while I don't hunt I wouldn't mind something with a bit more umph. 17HMR might actually be boring--or, might reveal too much about the shooter--a 22Mag can always be blamed as being inaccurate, not so much so for the 17's.] But discussing this is more fun than the other current discussions about guns...
They'll be by for the 10-22 if we don't watch out.

Now now now, am trying to have a fun gun thread here. I think we've all participated in the un-fun gun threads so far...

Although that does remind to buy more magazines. Been meaning to, just haven't. I feel a Midway order coming on...

Everyone is out of everything now days.

Magazines are all on back-order or you have to figure out how to refinance your home to afford them. I think MagPul is now back-ordered for over 1 million magazines.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/panic-one-million-ar-15-magazines-backorder

Gouging is everywhere.

If you like the shotgun, and you think it is a good price. Then I'd suggest you get it soon.

Do a quick google, see if you can get a stock, or if you are like me assess the damage and figure out if you can repair it.

Also, I kinda think that the legislation coming out of this administration is a distraction. Something else is going on behind the scenes that nobody is speaking of. There are no investigative journalists in American Society anymore so your guess is as good as mine.

I expect that in 6-8 months you will be able to find what you want at a decent price once everyone is finished panic buying.

Either that or... I will be very very wrong.

Oops, I wasn't very clear. This Remington 121 is a 22LR. The crack isn't bad on the forend; if it finishes cracking it should be easy to glue back together.

I did toy with a shotgun, been wanting one, but just don't have the usage for it.

Yeah, I wish I had bought a couple more BX-25's when they were in stock. Live and learn. No sense in stocking up on ammo, as I don't see any ammo ban (but I do wish I had put away a bit more prior to this panic). High capacity magazine ban, that could be coming, but meh. I'm not paying that much for something I don't absolutely need, ban or not. And if the ban isn't forthcoming then I'd have egg on my face for spending lots of money on what'll get cheap again.

I think right now might be a good time to get the oddball stuff. All the focus is on the "evil" black guns; I wonder if any are unloading non-evil stuff on trade-ins. This store had a big pile of 25acp ammo at $20/50, not a great price but it was the only ammunition that'd I'd call a pile at the moment!

Last edited:
Stick with the Ruger 10/22 and practice ultra stalking with CB Longs (CCI loading).

Find dense woodland and move very slow and super quiet. You'll be amazed the woods are a highway when you don't walk through them like it is a sidewalk.

Practice being sneaky like a cat would... Then drop a 29gr. slug down it's ear.

That is where the true hunting skill is. You move slow and deliberate and quietly enough time stands still and the hunt evolves around you.

If you dress warmly this is a lot of fun. Hunting a small acre becomes a life story.

Stomping around yields nothing where I am. You have to be very slow and watchful. Pretend you have a bow and an arrow and you need to eat. Pay attention to everything.

Then when the shot comes you can feel the firing pin sink into the round, and the patience carries though the shot as well.

You become invisible at one point, it is the greatest feeling when on a hunt.

(trying to add to your "fun gun" thread)

That would be fun. I think I have a better rifle for that though: a bolt 22 with open sights. But CB longs in this 24" barrel are whisper quiet. My pump airgun is louder. I need to retry the CCI "Quiet" rounds, I think they have a bit more umph, and will still be very quiet.

[This bolt isn't tapped for a scope. Wish I had a vise to use at the range to see if the garbage can sized group I get at 100 yards is me or the barrel. I suspect me, but the sights don't help, as the bench at the range has a roof over it--just can't make out the sights in the dark.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back