"Sea Foam " vs. Techron vs. Regaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Techron product just contains an additive that Chevron puts in their gasoline anyway so I don't see how it will damage anything. I used Neutra in my previous car and it seemed to clean out the injectors good. The car ran better. The car I own right now seemed to run better after I tried Regaine in the clear bottle (available at Wal-Mart). Personally myself I would stick to these three products unles I thought the fuel injectors were really dirty-then I would use BG44K one tank of gasoline before an oil change.

One additional nice thing about Neutra is that you can add one oz. per quart of oil into the oil 500 miles before an oil change and it will clean out the engine.

I bought a home kit from www.carfood.net that lets you do your own intake system cleaning. It has a drip bottle with a flow control valve that connects to an intake manifold vacuum line to slowly introduce the SeaFoam or Whatever other cleaner you want to use. They also sell a variety of intake cleaning chemical products from several manufacturers. I used the Trimaxx 2000 that appears to be the house brand and it did a great job cleaning out my 2001 Accord V6 intake system.

I have a Nissan Sentra and on the Nissan forum there has been concern that these Fuel injector cleaners damage Nissan injectors. I dont believe this but to be sure before I use Regain or something simular is there any problems you guy know about ??
Any recomendation ? I searched BTW and have decided on Regain if I can find it.

Thanks Ian.

I was wondering what would be effect of using Techron or Redline sl1 fuel injector cleaner in same way as seafoam is used?

By this I mean slowly pouring them in trough intake manifold vacuum line...

Will they clean as well as seafoam since they have stronger chemicals in them?

Letting the cleaner in through your intake manifold will be good for cleaning valves, but will do nothing to help clean injectors. Will It? I think the best injector cleaners would be the ones that connect directly up to your fuel rail. However, I have never seen a DIY kit. The 3M cleaner for the direct connect fuel injector cleaner has water in it to help clean the carbon off your combustion chamber. That sounds like it would be a great combination, water with an injector cleaner applied directly to the fuel rail. Anyone, ever had that done to their engine?

quote:

release it's kung fu grip

Boy, that brings back childhood memories...

"G.I. Joe, with the kung fu grip.."

quote:

Where do you guys find Regaine!!!

Looked ...just like you. Couldn't find it. In fact, JB, you're the reason that I ordered a case of it when I bumped into the Sopus rep at my buddy's garage. I had to have it!!

SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO???
 -

I've used Seafoam with decent results on my wife's jeep (knocking). Techron and Seafoam had no apparent effect on my Caravan. Mega dose of MMO worked wonders (no- I don't recommend that any of you put as much MMO in a fuel tank as I did).

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Letting the cleaner in through your intake manifold will be good for cleaning valves, but will do nothing to help clean injectors. Will It? I think the best injector cleaners would be the ones that connect directly up to your fuel rail. However, I have never seen a DIY kit. The 3M cleaner for the direct connect fuel injector cleaner has water in it to help clean the carbon off your combustion chamber. That sounds like it would be a great combination, water with an injector cleaner applied directly to the fuel rail. Anyone, ever had that done to their engine?

Well I am not trying to clean my injectors, they are fine. I just want to clean my TB, Intake Manifold and valves.

I was wondering that which one of the 3(Seafoam, Techron or Redline sl1) I mentioned earlier would do best job if they were sucked in Intake trough a vacum line.

What do you guys think?

Well, the lawnmower wouldn't start. I had some great results recently with Seafoam in my van so I decided to try it with the mower. First tried pouring a wee bit into the carb. It started right up and then just as quickly it died. Tried it again several times and then poured a liberal amount into the gas too. Then I had my son pull the starter cord while I continuously pushed the primer bulb, I figured there was no gas getting into the motor because the carb bowl was gummed up. After a few tries the mower started and stayed running. Ran most of the tank with the Seafoam before shutting off. My next experiment for Seafoam will be in my wife's 1994 Chrysler Concorde with the 3.3L dog motor. I'm going to run some through a vacuume line instead of in the gas tank. When it's time for an oil change I'm going to pour a can into the crankcase and drive it for 250 miles and then fill with synthetic oil. Since doing that in my van it is running terrific, very peppy and very smooth.

Seafoam may not be the high tech wonder formulation that some of the folks here love to analyze and marvel at the advanced chemistry involved, but the results that it gets are impressive and what I want are results. I would bet that the cleaning that one can of Seafoam does in 250 miles is more than what a much more expensive ARX treatment will give and I don't think Seafoam is as harsh as some people might think. Bottom line? it works.

Will it thin your oil? How much can a 16 oz can of Seafoam thin 5 quarts of oil that is near the end of it's service life and ready to be drained? If it's been in there for 5k to 10k miles I would think that it would be on the thick side anyways.

quote:

Originally posted by liquidtiger720:
what do you guys think about the effects of seafoam on o2 sensors and other exhaust components like the cat. converter?

...not to mention spark plugs. A number of folks on the yotatech.com forums had problems with fouled plugs after using Seafoam. A bit of a concern as I was going to do a third Seafoam run through the intake tonight.

quote:

Originally posted by wanman75:

quote:

Originally posted by liquidtiger720:
what do you guys think about the effects of seafoam on o2 sensors and other exhaust components like the cat. converter?

...not to mention spark plugs. A number of folks on the yotatech.com forums had problems with fouled plugs after using Seafoam. A bit of a concern as I was going to do a third Seafoam run through the intake tonight.

What results did you have with seafoam so far?

Well.... not sure whether to attribute a 2.5 mpg gain to the 3 Seafoam treatments, 2 ARX cleanings, the Techron concentrate, or the end of winter gas.

I haven't noticed any negative side effects, but I haven't pulled my plugs yet, and probably won't for 2 weeks (unless it starts to run rough).

Otherwise, smooth as always.

I never fouled any plugs using seafoam. Just the opposite seems to happen.
My cars still easily pass an emissions test and the o2 life hasn't been affected.

I don't see why any of the other FI products couldn't be used via the 'vacuum method' like seafoam. Should work!

I used various brands of FI cleaners on Nissans with only positive results; no injector problems whatsoever.

The carbon deposits can not be broken off in chunks and blown out the exhaust, like in previous decades. There is now a catalytic convertor that changes things. The carbon must be slowly removed and broken down to its smallest molecular structure. That way it can pass through the cat. Fuel system cleaners that contain Polyetheramine need time to remove carbon. It's not the concentration, it's the duration. In my opinion, you will not find anything better than Polyetheramine for newer fuel systems.

quote:

.not to mention spark plugs. A number of folks on the yotatech.com forums had problems with fouled plugs after using Seafoam.

You see this reported with FP too. I think it's a result of too slow an action over too short of a duration. The build up of blow-by accumulation/residue is such and the solvent of choice metered so fine (diluted) that it just migrates to the plugs. A more draconian assault (as you suggested with the intake method) would probably not have this occur. The residuals would just blow through the exhaust. The plug fouling more or less confirms (strongly suggests) that the dilute method (in the tank) is an effective maintenance technique (ala FP) ..but may take several back to back uses with something like Seafoam depending on your accumulation level.

Wouldn’t a quick Italian tune-up clean up the fouled plugs due to the Seafoam? I can’t imagine that after one shot of Seafoam that the plugs could be that bad. It would just be surface deposits that should quickly burn off with some revs. It’s not like were talking thick, caked on, oil fouling or anything.

Originally Posted By: clearanceman
Saturn SLs burn oil. They just do, it's a ring issue.

Really? You dug up a 9 year old thread to say that?!?
spankme2.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back