07 Jeep Compass check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have 07 Compass Jeep with cel light on showing code oxy. sensor. 3 have been installed day later cel light goes back on. Anyone have this problem??

Might be a mixture issue - or cat failed - is this the post cat sensor? Sometimes these have GND issues or if the part is not factory it wont interface well. Were codes cleared after install?

Last edited:
Usually the o2 sensor code is telling you that there is a problem, not the sensor failed itself.

Is it running too rich or too lean perhaps? Any other weird symptoms?

I once got a o2 sensor code because my car was running too rich (failed stuck open thermostat)

T-stat replaced, code gone forever.

I wouldnt worry about it. Same thing happened to me about six months ago,no change in performance. I had no idea what it could be and I thought maybe it was the CAT. Anyways, light stayed on for about a month maybe longer,went off all by itself and never came back.

Only problem we get inspected and cannot pass with cel light.
Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
I wouldnt worry about it. Same thing happened to me about six months ago,no change in performance. I had no idea what it could be and I thought maybe it was the CAT. Anyways, light stayed on for about a month maybe longer,went off all by itself and never came back.

Gotta get access to a code reader/diagnostic tool that tells you more than which sensor is barking. Is it reading rich, lean, what? What are the fuel trims, etc. It could be a bad sensor upstream (engine temp, intake air temp, MAP, etc.) causing the computer to incorrectly trim the mixture, it could be a mechanical problem (injector, etc.) Need more info to correctly diagnose the problem.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Having fuel trim and other information will be helpful. Any other codes together with this one?

Trav is right. Too many people mistakenly throw parts at cars thinking, for example, an o2 sensor code means the part is bad when really in many cases it is telling you there is a problem elsewhere such as fuel trim - which could simply be a vac leak.

I had this happen to my GMC Envoy last year - the FUSE for the O2 sensor blew. No matter how many O2 sensors (I installed FOUR, kept exchanging thinking I was getting bad ones) the CEL kept coming right back on.

Check the O2 fuse.

Last edited:
As it turns out the computer was not correct in setting the cel. I wonder how many others have had this problem and yet they replaced parts knowing the computer needed adj. thats all. Cost $0 courtesy having us to bring back new sensor aft. cel came back on. It took two attempts. Wouldn't you think they would check computer first??

So let me get this:-

You had P0420 (which you did NOT state). To fix it, somebody changed O2 sensor. But that did not fix the code.

There was a TSB on the vehicle which changes the limit on when the P0420 goes off. Trav had just posted a great link explaining all of this couple days ago.

Your dealer did the TSB/recall for you gratis. And now your CEL is out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back