Best OTC complete fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my mom's '04 Camry is reaching 15k miles so I thought I might put some fuel system cleaner in there before the next oil change. So I was wondering which OTC fuel system cleaner would you recommend? Some brands that I've seen around include: Chevron Techron, Lucas, Valvoline, STP, Grease Lightning, and a couple others that I can't remember. Ordering Fuel Power is not an option at this time. Thanks in advance.

Redline's fuel system cleaner is available at Pep Boys and other auto parts places. I do not know if you have Pep Boys in your state.

For over the counter I would use Gumout Regane.

As deepsquat said, the Regane and Techron are the two best OTC products. Most of the stuff on the shelves are just in fancy packages and a lot of hype. The two mentioned work.

For a car with low miles Techron should be fine.

For a car that needs drastic measures short of removal and bench cleaning of the injectors I recommend a strong blend: Techron/Redline/Regane...bottle of each in a low fuel tank. Drive like a maniac for until almost out of fuel, fill tank. Change oil. Again - not for a new car....it has worked.

The above is based on the fact that 8oz of something dumped in 20 gallons of gas will not do a whole lot of cleaning right away.

OTOH FP works pretty good!
grin.gif

Redline SL-1 at Advance Auto....I sometimes use it in place of the Amsoil Performance Improver and it works just as well. In fact, it smells like the same type of synthetic amine compound.

TS

Maybe alternating between the Redline SI-1/Techron/Regane would be a good idea?
What about B12 Chemtool? It seems really strong.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
For a car with low miles Techron should be fine.

For a car that needs drastic measures short of removal and bench cleaning of the injectors I recommend a strong blend: Techron/Redline/Regane...bottle of each in a low fuel tank. Drive like a maniac for until almost out of fuel, fill tank. Change oil. Again - not for a new car....it has worked.

The above is based on the fact that 8oz of something dumped in 20 gallons of gas will not do a whole lot of cleaning right away.

OTOH FP works pretty good!
grin.gif

Since you are an Amsoil person, how about your Performance Improver...?? I have had great luck with it....

Techron, B-
Regane, C+
FP, A+

Nothing but FP will touch the cold-start rough idle in my XJ. When I run FP it's totally gone. 'Bout time to order some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back