Rattle/shake/vibration in gear...please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Have you considered idling with the A/C on and off to see if there's any difference....?

What's that going to do? Curious. It's winter here in Indiana. It's made the rattle since the engine swap and the AC has never been on. In fact, I don't even think I can get the AC to run because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been recharged yet.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Have you considered idling with the A/C on and off to see if there's any difference....?

What's that going to do? Curious. It's winter here in Indiana.

I have experienced A/C induced rumbling/vibrations...and others have as well from what I've read on the net...just askin'

...and the national weather report says you in for mid-40s/50 today...enjoy...

Surely you can find it if you have the vehicle on a lift with someone in the car recreating the issue. Get a mechanics stethoscope and probe around the area until you locate the source.

It's not as though it happens at highway speed-it happens at a stop, which is very easy to recreate. You're going to find that it's something extremely simple.

I wish it was that easy. We had it on a lift twice. The kind that the tires are on rails, and we had it in gear with the parking brake on. Me and two mechanics looked for a half hour.

Just now on my lunch break on at, I put the car in gear with parknig brake, and grabbed the exhaust in the middle of the car. Moved it several inches to the left and to the right. No change in the rattle. Went back to the tail pipe and pushed the exhaust a few inches forward and pulled it backwards...no change either.

Could it be in the tranny? Cracked CAT maybe?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Me and two mechanics looked for a half hour.

Was the car making the noise during this half hour???? How could 2 mechanics not figure this out?

Re-create the noise and go around the car feeling/pressing on all the body panels, hood, trunk, license plates, wipers, trim pieces, open the doors, hood, trunk, spare tire, interior pieces, seats, change in the ashtray etc. You'll find it, its not rocket science.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!! The rattle is fixed!!

Started preying/putting forces on everything bolted to the engine.

It was the power steering bracket. Snugged up a few bolts and magically....it was quiet!!

Now I can sleep peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back