NEO 0w5 Racing Synthetic, 25K, VW Golf 1.9TDI, ALH

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "total oil used" is the correct term since we are dealing with UOA which by definition is "USED OIL" ANALYSIS. The UOA is not for top-off or makeup oil or originally fill only, it is for all the oil used. The UOA does not differentiate and it is the result of the "total oil used". Any oil added to the engine will become used oil, period.

What BITOG users assumed, misread, misunderstood, etc. are not my problems. I will always used the correct terms as defined by the process.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What could, "another word" possibly mean?

If you have to ask then you couldn't possibly understand it. Jerk away.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but "another word" is not a real phrase, and is kind of like, "I could care less." The meaning is understood by all, but it's annoyingly incorrect. I keep my criticisms to myself, except in cases where some one is being a true butt head.

See my last post for the correct one, "in other words." "In other words," is used when some one is trying to reiterate or elaborate what they've previously written, in other words.

You expect more from a mod? Your statement was confusing and he made a comment. I don't get it.

You expect more from a mod? Your statement was confusing and he made a comment. I don't get it.

and you never will get it so move along if you can't stay on topic. Post something related to this UOA or step off.

Ha.
We really do split hairs on everything here,don't we.
So the lead is high but to be expected with such a thin oil and how you drive it. How much longer do we think it will last before the bearings have finally had it?

My mileage went from annual average of 44mpg (48 max) when new to 57mpg (62 max) now with all the mods and the low viscosity oil.

What other mods have you done? How much of the mpg improvement do you attribute to oil viscosity?

and you never will get it so move along if you can't stay on topic. Post something related to this UOA or step off.

Oh, I get it, alright.
crackmeup2.gif

As requested, I'll make sure my posts stay on-topic from here on out:

Based on the 100C KV, that oil is a 20W, with the 0W-5 stamped on there to make you think it's a super thin racing oil. It's not even a light 20W, either.

Last edited:
I was going to post in the OP's defense but this thread is devolving into trolling over semantics enough as it is.

Last edited:

Really? So is it a straight grade 20 or how exactly should it be labelled

Oh, I get it, alright.
crackmeup2.gif

Based on the 100C KV, that oil is a 20W, with the 0W-5 stamped on there to make you think it's a super thin racing oil. It's not even a light 20W, either.

I apologize for jumping in and stoking the fire. I have a bad habit of poking bears; only in jest, mind you, though I'm sure on the interwebs it appears more maliciously troll-like.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Really? So is it a straight grade 20 or how exactly should it be labelled

Oh, I get it, alright.
crackmeup2.gif

Looks like you accidentally posted within the quote -- I do that all the time, by accident! haha.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was a straight 20W, but that the numbers posted indicate it is an XW-20. The oil thickened from a virgin viscosity of 7.4 cSt @ 100C to 8.2 cSt @ 100C, which is consistent with an XW-20, not an XW-5.

So the oil thickening,is due to evaporation,or how does it get thicker?
Thanks

The oil may not be an xw-5 to begin with, I don't think the grade officially exists.

That being said, oxidation thickens an oil.

Do you know what the virgin specs are of this oil? Like previous posters have said, based on the 100C viscosity, this is an xW-20 oil.

Also, I can't find it listed on Neo's web site.

Ha.
We really do split hairs on everything here,don't we.
So the lead is high but to be expected with such a thin oil and how you drive it. How much longer do we think it will last before the bearings have finally had it?

Lead is less than 1ppm per 1K miles so the bearing should last me another 300K miles at least.

Originally Posted By: Brule

My mileage went from annual average of 44mpg (48 max) when new to 57mpg (62 max) now with all the mods and the low viscosity oil.

What other mods have you done? How much of the mpg improvement do you attribute to oil viscosity?

You can see some of the mods in the engine pic. OMI intake, EGR deletion, DG race pipe, PCV vent to atmosphere, 3" straight exhaust, Aiken fuel box, advance injection timing, 205/70-15 tires, 2T fuel mix, and low viscosity oils. The low oil viscosity is good for 3-5mpg.

The Amsoil bypass filter took care of the soot and allows me to run non diesel oil.

Last edited:
The "total oil used" is the correct term since we are dealing with UOA which by definition is "USED OIL" ANALYSIS. The UOA is not for top-off or makeup oil or originally fill only, it is for all the oil used. The UOA does not differentiate and it is the result of the "total oil used". Any oil added to the engine will become used oil, period.

What BITOG users assumed, misread, misunderstood, etc. are not my problems. I will always used the correct terms as defined by the process.

Maybe in the future just state "6 quarts intial fill and two quarts makeup".
wink.gif

What are you oil pressures wtih this viscoity? I asked this question once before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311

What are you oil pressures wtih this viscoity? I asked this question once before.

Engine ran fine in Arizona heat with no problem even when it was overheated. As long as I don't get a warning from the ECU I don't really care. I might thin it out even more with ZMAX in the near future.

Originally Posted By: 3311

Engine ran fine in Arizona heat with no problem even when it was overheated. As long as I don't get a warning from the ECU I don't really care. I might thin it out even more with ZMAX in the near future.
Well since you don't care about the pressure, I will not either.
IMO, and I'm certainly not an expert, those are pretty high numbers considering you running a bypass system. I sincerly wish you luck though getting another 300k out of this engine.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Thanks

The oil may not be an xw-5 to begin with, I don't think the grade officially exists.

That being said, oxidation thickens an oil.

Based on the VOA/UOA #s, we know this oil didn't begin as an XW-5 - it's definitely on the thicker side of an XW-20.

The higher UOA KV @ 100C could be the result of oxidative thickening; however, the oxidation between virgin and used is very low, so another explanation could simply be inconsistencies between each bottle of oil. IN OTHER WORDS, the bottle of oil that the virgin sample was drawn from might have been thinner than than the average of all the bottles of oil added throughout this OCI. Just a thought.

Also, you're spending a lot of money on this oil - doesn't need any help (RE: ZMAX.) IMO, buy an oil suitable for the task at hand and let it do its job, by itself - no need for additives that may not play well with the oil's chemistry.

Last edited:
I ask this once. Does this oil have the CL rating? If not what diesel rating does it have? Thanks.

Also, you're spending a lot of money on this oil - doesn't need any help (RE: ZMAX.) IMO, buy an oil suitable for the task at hand and let it do its job, by itself - no need for additives that may not play well with the oil's chemistry.

Why do you even read this thread if this is what you believe in?

Why do I run 0w5 when practically any 5w40 will do? You just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back